Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dunbar85
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless connection keeps dropping when AES enabled

Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:48 am

Hi

I recently started using a Routerboard 951G-2HnD and eventually noticed that one of my devices was repeatedly dropping its wireless connection and reconnecting. After searching for solutions to the problem, I found that several other people have reported similar issues with Routerboard's, but I have not seen any solutions posted.

I experimented with the security settings on the wireless AP and found that disabling "aes ccm" on both unicast and group cyphers resulted in a stable wireless connection. But this is insecure and I want to run with aes enabled. WPA vs WPA2 (PSK) made no difference to the connection stability.

I enabled the wireless debug log and am attaching a txt file with its contents. The affected device is F0:27:65:15:1A:64

I'm running the latest version of RouterOS - 6.32.3.

If anyone can please direct me to steps I can take to correct this, I would greatly appreciate it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless connection keeps dropping when AES enabled

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:06 pm

i think its a wireless clients issue

i always use

aes
wpa 2
1 hour group key update

without problems in more than 100 accesspoints rb951g, rb951Ui, rb9512n and hap lite

try changing the pre shared key

Dunbar85
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:03 am

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I know it looks like a wireless client issue and I also thought it might be that. But I just don't see how it's possible.

The device in question is my Galaxy S4. It is able to connect to every other WPA/WAP2 network I've taken it to, including my previous router (a D-link DIR-615). Surely Samsung has correctly implemented their wireless protocols? The fact that the phone can connect to all networks except the Routerboard makes me doubt that the device is at fault.

I've tested other devices (laptop, friend's phone) and they can hold a stable connection to the Routerboard when AES is enabled.

I tried changing the PSK and changed the group key update interval from 5 min to 1 hour. Still have the same problem, the connection drops every 40 - 70 seconds.

Maybe there is a problem with this particular Routerboard? I can try and get it replaced.

Otherwise, I'm desperate to try some other things. I don't know how to debug this problem. The logs aren't very helpful, "extensive data loss" doesn't make much sense.

The info on the wiki says, "extensive data loss" - local interface decided to drop connection to remote device because of inability to send data to remote after multiple failures at lowest possible rate. Possible causes - too weak signal, remote device turned off, strong interference, some other RF related issue that makes communication impossible. But I don't know how to do anything useful with this information.

What can I try?

Dunbar85
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:31 pm

I solved the problem by soldering a new aerial onto the unit.

spippan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:08 pm

I solved the problem by soldering a new aerial onto the unit.
excuse me, but what actually do you mean by "a new aerial" ?
what did you do there to solve the problem?
---
raiffeisen data center infrastructure and security
...stay curious