Community discussions

bigcw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

hAP Lite wireless channels missing?

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi

I have a hAP Lite deployed at a customer site. They have requested I change the wireless channel to 11. No problem I thought, I'll just log in and change it.

Tried to set frequency=2472 via ssh but the hAP wasn't having it. Strange.

Logged in via web instead and the drop down list of frequencies has 2412-2442 available, then 2447 and 2452 greyed out. No sign of anything above that.

I have regulatory domain set to 'united kingdom' where the channels should be available. Have also tried changing to 'no country set'.

If I scan for other wireless networks I see APs on channels above 2452 so the radio must be able to tune that high.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks, Chris
Ecom International Network - Operators of AS61337 with POPs in Europe and North America - www.ecomltd.co.uk
Colocker Data Centre - The data centre with a difference! - www.colocker.com

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP Lite wireless channels missing?

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:51 pm

change channel width to 20mhz channel or 20/40mhzCe or 20/40mhzeC

bigcw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:10 pm

....20/40mhzCe or 20/40mhzeC
Hi

Thanks for this. I changed from Ce to eC and the frequencies appeared. I've no idea what this change does. Is there a plain language explanation of what this setting does anywhere? Nothing I found via Google explained what the difference is.

Chris
Ecom International Network - Operators of AS61337 with POPs in Europe and North America - www.ecomltd.co.uk

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:46 am

....20/40mhzCe or 20/40mhzeC
Hi

Thanks for this. I changed from Ce to eC and the frequencies appeared. I've no idea what this change does. Is there a plain language explanation of what this setting does anywhere? Nothing I found via Google explained what the difference is.

Chris
some years ago we only have 802.11a and 802.11g both are 20mhz channel only

with the appearance of 802.11n one of the improvements was the possibility of using 40mhz channel, but to maintain compatibility with old stuff (i think) is not a real 40mhz channel, its a 20mhz + 20mhz channel where a first 20mhz channel its the main or central channel and the second 20mhz channel its an extension channel :? hard to explain beyond that.

the Ce means Central 20mhz channel its below extension 20mhz channel

the eC means Central 20mhz channel its over extension 20mhz channel

for example using a channel 6 (2437 mhz) as a central channel in Ce mode the extension channel will be channel 10, but in eC mode the extension channel will be channel 2.

your situation was that using Ce mode you only can use channel 1-7 as central channel on the available spectrum on 2,4ghz, as well on eC mode you can only use 5-11 central channel

bigcw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Thank you for the detailed explanation Chechito!

The client has come back saying that since the change he is unable to connect to the wireless network. Are there any compatibility issues that surround changing from eC to Ce? My guess is no as it sounds like every access point must switch modes in order to use the higher channels but interested to hear your opinion.

It is a remote site hence why I can't check it myself; I have to rely on the client to test and then come back to me. Maybe I need to configure a hAP here so I can test it myself!

Chris

nickshore

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:02 pm

You should really stick to 20 Mhz channel width on 2.4

Nick
Nick Shore MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/brand/mikrotik
Official UK MikroTik Distributor
IRC chan: #routerboard on irc.z.je (IPv4 and IPv6)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:40 am

Thank you for the detailed explanation Chechito!

The client has come back saying that since the change he is unable to connect to the wireless network. Are there any compatibility issues that surround changing from eC to Ce? My guess is no as it sounds like every access point must switch modes in order to use the higher channels but interested to hear your opinion.

It is a remote site hence why I can't check it myself; I have to rely on the client to test and then come back to me. Maybe I need to configure a hAP here so I can test it myself!

Chris

check your country configuration on wireless settings

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:41 am

You should really stick to 20 Mhz channel width on 2.4

Nick

totally agree better check to have both chains enabled to improve performance, on hap lite sometimes default only enables first chain