Community discussions

MikroTik App

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

SXT Range (2Ghz, 5Ghz or the new AC model)

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi guys,

Not used to doing "long" range links but can someone give me the range for a PtP for the following routers:

MikroTik RBSXT5AacD2n - Guessing the AC will have the same range as the 5 below
MikroTik RBSXT5nDr2
MikroTik RBSXT2nDr2

The 2 buildings are about 1.5km apart with nothing in-between, speed isn't really an issue since the internet here in RSA is so slow :( Anything above a solid 20mbps will be acceptable.

The set up will be 951 (hotspot here) -> SXT ~> SXT -> Groove (AP bridge)

Thanks in advance
mb

djdrastic

Re: SXT Range (2Ghz, 5Ghz or the new AC model)

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Range is difficult because it depends on so many factors .1.5 kilos with a 5Ghz SXT is pretty doable given good LOS and clear fresnel zone . I would probably go with the SXT5Ac given the option of the three.Make sure you dial down your power and only use the frequency space you need.

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Range is difficult because it depends on so many factors .1.5 kilos with a 5Ghz SXT is pretty doable given good LOS and clear fresnel zone . I would probably go with the SXT5Ac given the option of the three.Make sure you dial down your power and only use the frequency space you need.
Line of sight is good. Only 0.5 to max 2 meter bushes in-between. Routers will be mounted at about 1.5 stories high + pole length, that should be good for the Fresnel zone right?

tealc
just joined

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:34 pm

I had a SXT AC link 4.5km with almost 100mbps HDX on 80MHz nv2. Replaced one of them for Dynadish due to bandwidth request. Got 150mbps.
Very polluted area, few trees in the way.

You should get at least 100mbps link. Thoose SXT AC's are capable little bastards :-).

Poslano sa mog Mi-4c koristeći Tapatalk

djdrastic

Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 am

Line of sight is good. Only 0.5 to max 2 meter bushes in-between. Routers will be mounted at about 1.5 stories high + pole length, that should be good for the Fresnel zone right?

Sounds ok .Do you know if there's enough free spectrum where you are shooting ?

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:29 am

Sounds ok .Do you know if there's enough free spectrum where you are shooting ?
No idea, was too rushed when I did my test. There are a few wisps in the area but its on a farm kms away from any town or visible towers.

will a frequency scan from a groove be enough?