Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

wlatinfo
just joined
Topic Author

Where is Limitation come from for an AP?! , Is it related to cpu and ram of the routerboard device or other issue?!

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi there
We are looking to establish a WLAN in a city. it is all about a wlan for a company.which users connect to servers inside the network.
We discussed the scenario with some people who are working on networks and specially on MikroTik devices.
theoretically 2007 client could connect to an ap,but in action there is 30 - 60 clients at best situation.
The question is ,what is going on with mikrotik radios? ,where these limitations come from?
does limitation is per Radio or per each SSID?
Do these limitations come from CPU and RAM on routerboard devices?
Does installing routerOS on x86 with pci radio cards solve these limitation for mikrotik?
Is there any model of mikrotik wireless products which support about 100 concurrent connections per AP?

Note:End-point users are 2.4GHZ users which connect on mobile and tablets and laptops.

Thanks for your helps

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm

The limitation is per radio. There with more clients connected to radio will increase the time to transmit / retransmit data especially for clients with lower signal. So no, using a x86 device will not help. You will have to install several access points. I can not imagine any radio , not only from mikrotik that can handle 100 clients connected simultaneously on an ap. Depending what throughput your clients will have and real life spectrum( be sure you are not the only one in 2,4ghz) your max connected clients number will be 10-20 clients. On best scenario it will work acceptable with 30

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

tale
just joined

Re: Where is Limitation come from for an AP?! , Is it related to cpu and ram of the routerboard device or other issue?!

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:55 pm

With one Ap is not possible on 2.4 for so many clients, but there is a option on 5 GHz up to 100 clients. tested it works combination mikrotik - xclaim !
example right now connected..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wlatinfo
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Where is Limitation come from for an AP?! , Is it related to cpu and ram of the routerboard device or other issue?!

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:08 pm

With one Ap is not possible on 2.4 for so many clients, but there is a option on 5 GHz up to 100 clients. tested it works combination mikrotik - xclaim !
example right now connected..
While I am not familiar with combination mikrotik-xclaim, could you please explain it,any video or reference?!
I couldn't find anything on google
Thanks Tale

tale
just joined

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:33 pm

Xclaim Dual-Band Outdoor 1.167 Gbps at 5ghz can handle more than 100 client real and tested at same time! 1 mikrotik 951 behind the xclaim with sample configuration and thats all. We have few Xclaim"s on some public places installed and works great.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 am

You can do the same with mikrotik devices.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

wlatinfo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:46 am

I heard about that once ,but I didn't find any tutorial related to do that on internet. could you please explain how to do that on mikrotik ,Mr. Normis !
and what is the maximum clients connect simultaneously to an ap !?
any tutorial, links or video Please!
Thanks for your help

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 pm

I heard about that once ,but I didn't find any tutorial related to do that on internet. could you please explain how to do that on mikrotik ,Mr. Normis !
and what is the maximum clients connect simultaneously to an ap !?
any tutorial, links or video Please!
Thanks for your help
More than 100 is possible, we see this often in our MUM events.
If you have specific situation, you must provide all config and details, we can help to optimize.
Most likely there is interference or coverage issues. Changing frequency and placing you AP in an optimal location helps a lot. Also remember that if the clients are "phones", you can go much further than 50 meters. Phone antennas are weak
No answer to your question? How to write posts