Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

hAP AC Performance

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:29 pm

is the new hAP AC recommended in public places with hotspot?
i'm planing to implement it with dual band at the same time, any suggestions?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: hAP AC Performance

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:32 pm

It has one of the best CPUs we have right now in devices of this size. It is quite powerful. We used them to power all the internet in several MUM meetings (350 people, only two hAP ac devices)

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:34 pm

It has one of the best CPUs we have right now in devices of this size. It is quite powerful. We used them to power all the internet in several MUM meetings (350 people, only two hAP ac devices)
Having multiple band 2.4 & 5.8 is fine?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Yes, each AP works with two APs at the same time. 2GHz and 5GHz

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Yes, each AP works with two APs at the same time. 2GHz and 5GHz
okay i will go and buy two of them,
what is your opinion on having hotspot with WPA2? would it affect the performance?
what Encryption configuration is recommended for hotspots?
i'm planing to implement 1 hour trial internet and i do not want anyone across the neighborhood to use it daily.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:14 pm

WPA will not affect performance, but you will have to tell your users the password. Hotspot allows to accept trial users even without them knowing any passwords. But of course WPA2 is much safer

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:17 pm

WPA will not affect performance, but you will have to tell your users the password. Hotspot allows to accept trial users even without them knowing any passwords. But of course WPA2 is much safer
i've been doing some tests & i figured out that with both wireless interfaces enabled with the same name, 5ghz supported devices are automatically connecting to 2.4Ghz.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:14 pm

i've been doing some tests & i figured out that with both wireless interfaces enabled with the same name, 5ghz supported devices are automatically connecting to 2.4Ghz.
The devices see both frequency and decide which one to use. In general they will take the stronger signal.

My laptop with Intel card has a setting "Preferred Band" = No Preference/2,4GHz/5GHz.

You might want to lower TX-Power in 2,4 GHz at the AP to influence the decision. With known devices you you could use Accesslists to move them to 5GHz.