Community discussions

lapsio
Topic Author

Consumer XXX gigabit routers vs MikroTik how do they compare?

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi. I'm using RB2011 with wifi for quite a long time and I'm really satisfied, but recently I've noticed that there's a lot of noise around those "super gaming gigabit whatnot" routers which look like 8 legged spiders (Asus RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300 or D-Link AC5300). And whereas yeah i know it's consumer crap and no any serious OS there but on paper MT looks like garbage comparing to them. I know it's just paper, I've achieved incredibly stable wifi with MT and careful manual config but still I'm quite curious how those expensive toys work in practice and how do they compare to professional APs.

Can they actually outperform MT or Ubiquiti APs? Ofc I mean only dummy signal source functionality, as in AP connected to MT router handling whole network, because comparing ROS to whatever soft is used by those toys would be just silly. Is this XXX gbps wifi even real or just theory for nice clickbait because If i remember well gigabit point to point wifi from Ubi had cost like... lots of $$$, for sure much more than those toys. And it was "only" one gigabit whereas I'm just waiting for announcement of idk 10gbps wifi from Asus - faster than built in wired switch - without fibre optic! :lol:

On the other hand whereas stability was in my case more important than throughput, I'm getting like 5MB/s which is quite... meh :? So those astronomic numbers make me feel even more curious
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Consumer XXX gigabit routers vs MikroTik how do they compare?

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 pm

Search for 'router vulnerability'.

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Search for 'router vulnerability'.
:lol:

Okay so lets say OpenWRT. Or even if not then OVPN directly to mikrotik, after all I'm using usb powered mAP lite as wireless card for laptop because Intel had too weak signal to achieve desired stability. This question is strictly hardware related. I'm interested in how much bullcrap there is in those amazing specs. I mean just come on. 5gbps wifi. It sounds sooooo fake. Considering how totally not affordable for home user 10gbe NIC still is. If it'd be true then there's something wrong with wired networks being still just gigabit. Or why there's no such APs from UBNT/MT
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Lets compare MT to other consumer routers(Asus, dLink)

We have two people, Mike and Jhonn.

Mike works 8-5 at the bank as a teller.

Jhonn works for the same bank, but in IT.

Mike will need to get a 8 legged spider asus router because you plug it in and it works and with very good wifi reception in his house.

Once it is set up he never have to fiddle with it.

Jhonn is the technical guy, he understands routing ect and he enjoys to tinker with stuff.

He can get himself a spider, but he requires more advanced features so he goes mikrotik(RB2011)

Then he gets himself some fancy ubnt ac unify ap's and over the weekend he pulls some cat5 cable to the rooms he installed the ap's.

Thats how I would compare MT with other consumer options.

MT for the technical guy and a spider for that family member that is having difficulty to find the teamviewer download button.
There you go then you touched something ;-) : it only takes a change in wind direction to screw with your nat :-)

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Just think about this and follow your own logic:

- SOHO "superduper" APs/routers use the same mass-produced chipsets for wireless and ethernet (Atheros, Broadcom, etc) as everyone else.

- Hardware value is nil without an OS that make it work. Most SOHO manufacturers take openwrt or a derivative, then outsource the cheapest resources to get it "done" to work with their hardware.

- A given SOHO "superduper" APs/router rarely "lives" in the market for more than 6 months before being superseeded by a new, "ubersuperduper" model; product support is equally short-lived; they want you to buy the new "ubersuperduper" one.

In addition to what p3rad0x pointed, most guys won't notice how clunky these routers performance is, until they try a routerboard.

Mass-market manufacturers target the SOHO market, their only and sole priority is selling, not performance, reliability or continued support.

Additionaly, these routers are outrageously expensive when compared to a similar hardware routerboard features.
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: Consumer XXX gigabit routers vs MikroTik how do they compare?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:38 am

They do use the hardware features of the socs though, unlike mikrotik.

So faster, but not as capable. Otoh if you need a faster mikrotik, there are options.