Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

DirectWireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OSPF Routed Network w/ roaming?

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:20 pm

I'm wondering, I want to switch to an OSPF routed network, and still have seamless roaming between AP's on my network, currently I have about 13 APs (sectorized, some cover 240 degrees, others 360). I've been thinking about this a long time, I have an all IP network, and either I would use IPIP or EOIP from my main router to each AP, but last time I used EOIP, I had problems routing to the same subnet from another unit. But would I be losing any gains I have by going to a bridged over routed network? I mainly want to have self-repair on the backhauls, and everyone says routed is so much more efficient.

Is this the way to go? Are EOIP tunnels more efficient at knowing where a particular MAC address is vs bridged, or is it just the same thing?

tneumann

Re: OSPF Routed Network w/ roaming?

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:21 pm

Are EOIP tunnels more efficient at knowing where a particular MAC address is vs bridged, or is it just the same thing?
EOIP tunnels will become ports of a bridge, just like physical interfaces. It's the bridge that needs to know (learn) where (behind which port) a MAC address can be found, so EOIP does not make bridging itself any more efficient.

--Tom

DirectWireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:40 am

Well isn't some of the reason for switching from bridging to routed to reduce the amount of inter-node broadcast traffic, right? Also to drop the number of duplicate transmissions across the network too? Now let's say I disabled all broadcast MAC and IP at the tunnel AP side, and used proxy-arp from the other side - but in reality I could probably do that on a bridged network as well.