Community discussions

MikroTik App

jmay
Topic Author

How do you weather proof your feed horn cables?

Thu May 19, 2016 5:25 pm

When I started into this business 10 years ago our boss taught all the climbers to wrap the connectors with electrical tape (courtesy tape), then weather proof it with that tar wrap (sorry don't know the official name), and then another layer of electrical tape.

I've always thought this was a terrible way to do it but my boss insists it works if done correctly, but here's the thing, it does not work. Every single time it rains we are working on a back haul somewhere because 1 polarity drops 10-20 db after getting water penetration. I need to invent a new fool proof way of doing this. My thought is to eliminate the first layer of electrical tape (courtesy tape). But is there a better method all together? I know all the new style dishes have plastic housings which are awesome, but we have hundreds of existing older dishes that do not and I need to make them work.

Thanks in advance.

vujasoft
just joined

Thu May 19, 2016 9:54 pm

https://youtu.be/fJPOYCDH8wE

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do you weather proof your feed horn cables?

Fri May 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Just to add when applying Self-Amalgamating tape use two layers and apply one in a clockwise direction and at the end of first layer apply the second in a anti-clockwise direction back to start of first layer
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

troffasky

Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 pm

use two layers and apply one in a clockwise direction and at the end of first layer apply the second in a anti-clockwise direction
Pardon me if this is a silly question, but doesn't that mean that each layer's tendency would be to unwrap the other?

haik01

Sat May 28, 2016 10:22 pm

No it will not. By applying force, it "moulds" together. In other languages they call this tape "vulcanizing tape". It uses vulcanisation technique similar to car tyre repair.

If you want to speed up the process of moulding you can put a mild heat from a hair dryer to the tape after you put it on the connector.

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Self amalgamating tape is also used within aircraft to seal bayonet and screw type electrical connectors from all types of fluid ingress, extremes of temperature and as a mechanical protection from vibration. It works very well there, you don't need more than one layer, but it does not cause harm if you add more. You must ensure that when applying it, that you secure in the tightening direction of the connector i.e. make sure the tape is 'twisting' the connector tighter', stretch when applying and overlap over the line that is printed on the tape to get a good seal.

Hope this helps.

TonyJr