Community discussions

pikpik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wirelless repeater + gopro

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Hello

I know it's not a MT problem but maybe someone can help me with this.

Devices:
Repeater - RBMetal2SHPn
AP - Gopro Hero 3 black
Client - Android 6 phone

Diagram:

GOPRO ( dhcp server over wifi ip 10.5.5.9) -> RBMetal2SHPn ( wireless-rep ros latest stable) wlan1 main radio station mode , wlan2 virutal ap-bridge -> Android phone

Wireless repeater automatic configuration ( it works with any other device ie. d-link router, mt routers etc.) wlan1 and wlan2 in bridge.

Problem:

Android phone can't obtain ip adres from gopro. If i turn on dhcp-client on wlan1, it's obtain address from gopro. Any ideas guys ?

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wirelless repeater + gopro

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Can you put the Gopro in AP Bridge?

Your ISP Router main DHCP
>
Repeater - RBMetal2SHPn
>
AP - Gopro Hero 3 black
>
Client - Android 6 phone

pikpik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:44 pm

I can't do anything with modes on gopro it must be ap mode

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Hmmm - How to explain this without going too deep down the rabbit hole....

WiFi is not ethernet... it has concepts of station and AP, where in etherenet, everyone's equal. In standard 802.11 (wifi), the AP only knows about / works with the MAC addresses of stations that are associated with it - so if a station tries to act as a simple bridge, then it won't work because the AP isn't going to honor the MAC addresses of devices behind the bridge (those MACs aren't associated stations).

The GoPro's AP is probably very very basic, so it's not going to offer bridge mode or WDS options.

Therefore, the Mikrotik repeater must be able to fake it all. Making matters worse is that you have the same things to deal with on the main WiFi which leads to your repeater...

You're going to need true bridging between the repeater and the real AP, and pseudobridge between the repeater and the GoPro, so that the NetMetal can "masquerade" the MAC addresses of lan devices when it repeats to the GoPro.

EDIT: I just realized that the Netmetal IS the main AP for the Android phone... so basically, I think setting the wlan2 to mode station pseudobridge or pseudobridge-clone might do the trick. You'll need to add both wlan interfaces to the same bridge, of course.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

pikpik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Then you for help but still no luck with this configuration:/ How can i connect to wlan2 with station pseudobridge ?