Community discussions

MikroTik App

BulleriNET
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

is bridging the answer

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:41 am

i am replaceing a single 532 board with sr5 and omni with a dual 532a with 4 90 degree sectors and 4 sr5s

my hope is to service 150-200 clients off of this box

my plan is to bridge in the first board both wireless interfaces and eth2 which is jumpered to the second board and on that board bridg those interfaces also
all wireless interfaces will be on same ssid and same frequency

my hope is to have this look to the cleint as the omni will this work??

then i will assign address to one of the interfaces

any suggestions

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:39 pm

yes, that will work, but that's alot of clients to have on a bridged segment... you should also have the different sectors on different channels, and ideally different SSID's so your clients do not try to roam between them if they are on the edge of the coverage.

also, we limit each AP to 25 customers in order to maintain performance, I think you're going to have serious performance issues if you build that system the way you describe.

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:44 am

yea...how much bandwidth are you getting to feed this and how much bandwidth do you plan on delivering to your clinets?

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:04 am

You are going to interfere with yourself some if you do it this way. Two radios running on the same channel inside the same routerboard will probably cause more interference than the sectors, but between both you are going to increase your noise by a fair amount and possibly hinder your range. You'd be much better off using at least 2 (non-overlapping)channels, where each routerboard contains those 2 channels, and the sectors sharing channels are pointing away from each other.

I agree that 200 clients all off these 2 routerboards might be alittle bit too much, especially if it's one big bridge. Don't forget that everyone gets broadcasts on a bridged network! At a minimum, segment these 2 APs, or better yet use 1 routerboard per sector and route the network if possible. There might also be stability problems with 2 of these SR5 cards in one routerboard if it's under heavy load - never tried it but based on all of the comments about these cards in routerboards, you should be cautious about this potential problem.