Community discussions

MikroTik App

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

wpa no good for client wifi?

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:06 am

I've used wpa encryption for a ptp link or two, but i had a client that wanted to provide wifi for his cafe customers but he wanted to use security and not wep.

so i used wpa on a rb112 and he had alot of complaints. so i setup a test rig here and i have 5 laptops and for some reason after a few days no one can connect (the macs will say: "an error occured when joining this network" the PCs: will have the dhcp assigned IP but not able to do anything).

the logs on the RB show deauth, 4-way handshake time out.

Now with no laptops working, if i simply turn off security or set it to default profile all the laptops start working fine.

any ideas? is wpa not made for many wifi clients and more for one to one links?

oh and mt 2.9.25 across the board

thanks!

Dryanta

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:18 am

This is the clients messing up the router, and it gets confused. Same thing happens with my home rig. Even with a mt, sometimes the only solution is a good powercycle. That always fixes that behavior for me.

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:58 am

Upgrade to the latest version and set proprietary-extensions parameter of the wireless interface to post-2.9.25.

Eugene

matthias
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:35 pm

same problem for me!
routeros v2.9.27 with pre and post-2.9.25
sometimes clients are not able to connect and sometimes the Mikrotik AP pushes all clients away with a 4-way handshake timeout....

maxxgraphix
just joined

Re: wpa no good for client wifi?

Wed May 30, 2007 4:53 am

Any solutions on this? Our Mac OSX clients can't connect using WPA or WPA2 w/ TKIP or AES. Same thing, deauth and timeout.

Using a RB532 and a CM9. This is a NEW router with the latest RouterOS. WinXP clients can connect fine with the preshared key. This interface is a VAP.

Perhaps I could use PPPoe with basic local auth?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 30, 2007 10:44 am

Any solutions on this? Our Mac OSX clients can't connect using WPA or WPA2 w/ TKIP or AES. Same thing, deauth and timeout.

Using a RB532 and a CM9. This is a NEW router with the latest RouterOS. WinXP clients can connect fine with the preshared key. This interface is a VAP.

Perhaps I could use PPPoe with basic local auth?
Please make the support output file when the MAC connects to the RouterOS using WPA. Then send it to support@mikrotik.com

giganet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 30, 2007 11:19 pm

I've used wpa encryption for a ptp link or two, but i had a client that wanted to provide wifi for his cafe customers but he wanted to use security and not wep.

so i used wpa on a rb112 and he had alot of complaints. so i setup a test rig here and i have 5 laptops and for some reason after a few days no one can connect (the macs will say: "an error occured when joining this network" the PCs: will have the dhcp assigned IP but not able to do anything).

the logs on the RB show deauth, 4-way handshake time out.

Now with no laptops working, if i simply turn off security or set it to default profile all the laptops start working fine.

any ideas? is wpa not made for many wifi clients and more for one to one links?

oh and mt 2.9.25 across the board

thanks!

Be sure that the WPA key you use is thirteen characters long and beings you will have to expose that key to end-users don't use special characters at all, also try not to use too much upper-case lower-case alpha characters as that leaves far too much room for error by end-users.

Also make sure the credentials you setup in "Wireless Tables" --> "Security Profiles" match what you are handing out to HotSpot users.

I use WPA2...
Mode: Dynamic Keys
Auth Mode: WPA2 PSK
Unicast Ciphers: tkip
Group Ciphers: tkip
WPA2 Pre-Shared Key: thirteenchars