Community discussions

MikroTik App

TomS
just joined
Topic Author

Apple devices can't join my hAP lite

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:53 pm

Hello!

My company has been using mikrotiks for a while, sometimes as routers, more often as point to multipoint devices.  Lately, we picked up some hAP lites (the non ac versions) to use as wireless routers/APs at customer sites.

At first, everything seemed to be working great, and tested perfectly at the office.  However, when I installed one of the devices at the customer site, he couldn't connect to it with his iphone 6.  It just gives me an "unable to join the network" error.  Nothing shows up in the Mikrotik logs.

I brought the hAP back to the office, and tested with a coworkers ipad.  It couldn't connect either.

Doing some online searching, I was first happy to see this in the wireless FAQ.  Unfortunately, that did not solve the issue.  Here are my wireless settings:

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto \
    mode=ap-bridge preamble-mode=long ssid=TESTSSID wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa2-eap mode=\
    dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa2-pre-shared-key=12345678

As you can see, preamble mode is already set to long; I did also try 'both'.

Some other things I've tried, based on other people encountering similar problems:
Changing the frequency from auto to specific bands.
Changing bridge from rstp to stp.
Changing DHCP server  to authoritative=yes.

None of these seemed to help.  I'm hoping that someone else has encountered this issue, and has a solution?  Please let me know if there's any other info I should post.

Thanks very much!

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Apple devices can't join my hAP lite

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Having both wpa2-psk and wpa2-eap enabled seems wrong. I guess you only need wpa2-psk, so try turning wpa2-eap off.

TomS
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Wow, great!  Just gave that a try, and it worked!

Thanks a bunch; I really appreciate it.

fallenrised
just joined

Wed May 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Wow, great!  Just gave that a try, and it worked!

Thanks a bunch; I really appreciate it.
where can i configure this in my mikrotik. Same happens to me, I can't connect any Apple (ios) devices and when i connect thru windows it ask for username and password.

dfluff
just joined

Sat May 27, 2023 4:29 pm

Having both wpa2-psk and wpa2-eap enabled seems wrong. I guess you only need wpa2-psk, so try turning wpa2-eap off.
Brilliant! Our house is a mix of Android and Apple (..and laptops). None of the iOS devices have been able to join one of my Mikrotiks ever since I got it, but they generally worked OK on the other devices so I never tried to work out the problem. Now I'm regularly using an iOS device myself the fact they couldn't join the one and only 5GHz-N/AC network was annoying me. This answer was the cause of the problems and now all of the iOS devices are getting significantly faster WiFi links. Thanks andriys!

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 27, 2023 10:41 pm

where can i configure this in my mikrotik. Same happens to me, I can't connect any Apple (ios) devices and when i connect thru windows it ask for username and password.
Credentials is indeed an indication that you chose the incorrect security settings.
If you can't find it...please get rid of the MikroTik...this is not your brand.

Make me think otherwise...but before that, have a look at this:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/