Community discussions

MikroTik App

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wi-Fi metal setup

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi,
I ve a routerboard metal 2,4ghz And i m troubleing to configure it in beast way for best performance . I ve an antenna with 8db gain And it is installed at 10mt from ground! Could you Help me step by step?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wi-Fi metal setup

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Where are the clients, of what type, how many are they?

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Clients are in my garden around my home. And they are smartphons, tablets and notebook!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:33 pm

So look at the radiation diagram of the antenna. You will see that the antennas should be at the height of no more than 2m otherwise the clients are out of the range.

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wi-Fi metal setup

Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Where is IT? My iPhone detect a excellent Wi-Fi Signal at the level of ground but i ve problem of low bandwidth in FTP internal LAN trasfer!
Antenna is a goldwise OMNI 8db with 60 degree verical beam!

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:37 am

Could you Help me with a step guide?

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 am

Is there anybody else?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am

Read manual, read relevant forum topics, take inspiration and do not believe that some step-by-step guide will save your ass.

Will not.

If you do something you do not understand, you will make other faults that you are not aware of.

Your problem is not about "mikrotik" but about general physics, about wifi experience and in basic school mathematical knowledge. Let me explain your situation. You have very powerful AP radio, probably unregulated (assumption). Then you have very powerful omnidirectional antenna. I do not believe it has 60 degree vertical beam. But let assume yes. It means you are on the edge of the signal beam at at least 17.3m when the antenna is 10m high. On the edge! And it is distance on the groud, air distance is 20m. To get at least somehow in the beam, you would need to go much farther.

Now about the clients. Their radios are weak and they are equipped with very bad low gain antennas, held in hands, in movement, still changing the conditions.

What you can expect in this situation:

The signal level detected on the mobile clients from the AP is high even when they are out of the main beam of antenna. Because the strong signal leaks everywhere in close distance. But when the clients try to transmit, they are almost not heared by the AP. Why? Because the 10m high angenna catches all the signal even from very far distances and from unwanted angles that are directly in its main beam. From your point of view it is a noise, but it could be with the same intensity like the signal from your clients. This everything comes to the AP radio and it should distinguish between the noise and signal from your mobile phones. How it can manage that when there should be around 30-40db difference between the signal and the noise to keep the link?? It is obvious it can not.

Now your homework:

What do you think will happen, if you move the antennas down to the ground at height of 2m instead of 10m?
There are also other options, can you imagine them?

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wi-Fi metal setup

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:19 pm

So IT Was a mistake to put metal at 10mt level? Beter 2-4mt? My antenna is gold wireless 8db And in specification is vertical beam 60*! Realy
I detect with iPhone 6 the best signal , at level of ground ( i m 192 cm) the best signal level And I m ai 6-7 meter from the vertical of antenna! Also my problem is that i ve 2-3 Mbyte /sec of FTP trasfer rate from iPhone noto my LAN nas! It's not a problem of signal level but of low trasfer rate!
Also, sometimes my iPhone require the wpa password! And this appen when i go farther from the vertical of antenna!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Not necessarily. If you can use panel antenna and tilt it down facing your garden, it will be working great even from the height. Omnidirectional sticks vertically mounted just need to be in the same height like their clients to get the best signal from them.
Problem of the speed is always problem of the signal, it's strength and quality.

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 am

If you mount the antenna at 10 meters, then you should use a 2 or 3dBi vertical, as the radiation pattern of the 8dBi is not good for area below the antenna. a 2 or 3 dBi vertical will be better for areas below the antenna at that height.

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:13 pm

For you which is the best antenna to fit on my metal to cover all my area garden? Brand and type! Thanks

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:44 am

Probably something like ( if you still have it mounted 10 meters up and a direct connect to your RB Metal 2.4GHz ).

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-2 ... e-bulkhead

OR
http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-2 ... -connector

If you bring your antenna lower ~ 2 Meters, you can use a higher gain antenna e.g 8 to 12 dBi which may work just as effectively (depending on large obsticals like buildings !! )

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 pm

My actual is Omni 8 db 35-40 cm, why those are 2-3 db and more smaller? Wich the difference?

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:12 am

http://en.data-alliance.net/wp-content/ ... tterns.jpg
http://www.zive.cz/GetThumbNail.aspx?id ... =391&q=100
The RF radiation pattern of an antenna is true for both Transmit and Receive operations.

Given you want to cover an area below your antenna because you have it mounted high, then you should use a lower gain antenna for the radiation pattern of the antenna to cover your area below the antenna correctly.
A higher gain antenna up high will produce a low signal level for users directly underneath the antenna as well as the antenna/radio not hearing the people below very well.

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 am

If I put my metal at 3 mt from ground, but a little in a corner pisition of house with my actual Omni, should be best then buy low gaing Omni antenna your suggested me?

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Up

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Should be better another antenna OMNI at 10mt high but with lower db gain or mantaining my actual one (8db OMNI) but putting down the metal at 3mt high?
Consider that at 10mt I've under the routerbord Tv VHF antenna but space around 360°, and at 3mt only a littele pole but below the wal of the house on a corner!
I'm waiting for your reply! Thanks

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:31 pm

So IT Was a mistake to put metal at 10mt level? Beter 2-4mt? My antenna is gold wireless 8db And in specification is vertical beam 60*! Realy
I detect with iPhone 6 the best signal , at level of ground ( i m 192 cm) the best signal level And I m ai 6-7 meter from the vertical of antenna! Also my problem is that i ve 2-3 Mbyte /sec of FTP trasfer rate from iPhone noto my LAN nas! It's not a problem of signal level but of low trasfer rate!
Also, sometimes my iPhone require the wpa password! And this appen when i go farther from the vertical of antenna!

The metal is not a fast performer. It only has one wireless chain. If not already done; try setting the wireless to WPA2, AES CMM, Channel width 20/40 Mhz.

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Yes already done. Problems are for a low bandwidth and For -88db of ccq!

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Yes already done. Problems are for a low bandwidth and For -88db of ccq!

Last shot, try to enable WMM and lower the transmit power. 

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Could me guide with step of winbox?

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:21 pm

In winbox go to 'Wireless' and select your wireless interface. Next -> select on the right 'advanced mode'
Go to the tab 'Wireless' (if not already selected) -> set WMM Support to 'enabled'

To lower the power try the following -> switch Frequency mode from manual-txpower to regulatory-domain and set your Country.

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wi-Fi metal setup

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks For Help! But i ve had no good resut! In iperf test i ve only obtained 25-30 mbit of bandwidth! I belive that the only solution should be to putting down the metal from the roof to 3mt high! Do you think so?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Still the same. Just try it...

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Yes for sure. Jarda's advice using 2 m height is a great one.

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 am

When you say : 2 mt high or 3mt high, do you mean the top of antenna, point of attach of antenna, or bottom of Rb from ground?

mjsabri
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:41 am

i offer you , change your antenna with an antenna 13db

niconico
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 am

Where Are u from?

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 pm

When you say : 2 mt high or 3mt high, do you mean the top of antenna, point of attach of antenna, or bottom of Rb from ground?

Approx. 2 m high with the standard Mikrotik Metal antenna.