Community discussions

joshjaks
just joined
Topic Author

Help with Optimizing local WISP

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Hey guys, I want to say right off the bat I'm not a networking guy per se. (Though gradually becoming one.) I'm just a gamer in a small town who wants to be able to play online games as best as possible until the fiber being installed is finished. Of course, by helping myself I'm helping my whole town. So please excuse me if I don't know as much as I should, but I'm doing as much research as I can with my schedule.

For starters, the WISP here was suffering from major lag. The owner tried some things before asking me for help because I'm an IT guy at a hospital. (servers more than network) Still, I took to google and found out some things. The big issue I ran across was that the different receivers (sometimes called towers) were using channels that were really close. I found the frequency settings, divided them by 9 and had the owner manually set the channels as far apart as possible. This seemed to stop the collisions and got the internet much more stable in recent days.

Now, in our journeys, the Fiber provider in another town gave some tips like disabling NAT in certain points, I experimented with the WDS mode which seemed to help, and notice our core switch is in bridge mode. These are all things I'm wondering how to optimize which is why I'm posting. I'll include some screenshots of each device, and hopefully some of you can fill me in on what would be optimal for the service. The first screenshots I'm posting are for the transmitters. These are in each individual home that's subscribed to the WISP. They look more like a power adapter than an actual modem I'm used to seeing.
Transmitter Settings (1).jpg
Transmitter Settings (2).jpg
Transmitter Settings (3).jpg
I'll continue with a reply later to get the rest of the settings attachments up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help with Optimizing local WISP

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Are you sure you are on right forum here? How is your post related to mikrotik?

czolo

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:44 pm

ROTFL
| --= Czo|_o =--
| http://wifi4eu.pl
| Innovation in WiFi

paulct
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:41 am

Thread of the year

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 pm

I see the issue, its "IT Guy"

GG wp
There you go then you touched something ;-) : it only takes a change in wind direction to screw with your nat :-)

joshjaks
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:05 am

Yeah, you guys are really funny. Pride and joy of internet communities. Thought I made it pretty clear I'm a IT GUY, which means I'm no way qualified to handle this. I happen to be the only guy who does and can though. I also mentioned I would post more screenshots because my initial post would only allow two for some reason. We have airOS devices that go to a Mikrotik core router. I'm hoping to find some useful advice because I live in a tiny, rural Colorado community and have little to no help in this area. Sorry for scouring your forums and actually thinking you guys might be helpful. Anyways, here's the some core router settings. I've figured out the collision problem that has helped the web traffic, but online gaming still lags and drops intermittently. We're using an RB1100AHx2 router and while the CPU usage hovers at 10%, I noticed the RAM usage seems to be full all the time. Could that cause a problem? Anything in the core router that could be causing lag, specifically for gaming while causing erratic speed tests (works fine, can't connect, extremely low speeds, etc)? Here's the quick set settings, happy to add more stuff if I know where to go.
Router.jpg
Here's some of the receiver settings. Let me know if the simple routing settings are too complicated for people who understand core switches. =)
Reciever (1).jpg
Reciever (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joshjaks
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 am

Last thing I have is some advanced settings that seem optimized enough, but I literally have nothing to lose posting them here so why not.
Transmitter (3).jpg
Reciever (3).jpg

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:35 am

Sorry we are laughing at you.

First of all quickset of isp core router showing bridge mode is nonsense. The quickset itself is nonsense. Put here export if you would like to show us something.

You haven't told us the topology so it doesn't matter how in details are set other ubnt things. Strange you do routing there...

Natting in inner network? Why are you doing it?

joshjaks
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Let me give you a little more details on this. I was trying not to bore anyone but it might help to understand the position I'm in. Right now, I live in a town of roughly 2,000 people and wireless internet is our only decent ISP option. It's a singly owner style company from a guy who recently got some training, then tried to start his own business. After he started getting more customers and receivers up, the internet got REALLY bad. He asked me to help him for reasons I don't understand. Sure, I'm an IT guy, but I deal primarily with building computers and Windows Server 2008 R2. I don't know much about this WISP thing at all. At the same time, the internet sucked sooo bad that I tried to do the best I can.

I found out his frequencies where way too close to each other. Once we got those spaced out, that fixed the web issues, but gaming is still pretty rough. Might always be the case but we don't seem to be bandwidth throttled. This is when I suspected a setting in either the airOS equipment, or the core router itself. This is when I started getting lost as well. I really shouldn't be doing this.

That said, each house has a dish that shoots to a tower above town. That tower has 9 receivers that are connected to the Mikrotik core router. That router is connected to a fiber line provided by an internet company from a neighboring town. We have around 500Mbps down and up, but only seem to use roughly 250 down at peak times. I don't know if that explains the bridge mode or not, but I hope it helps to some degree. It seems we need some form of NAT for the internet to work. For instance, if I disable NAT in my airOS transmitter in my house, while it's disabled in the airOS receiver on the tower, my internet goes down.

I'll try and get an export of the router tonight. I work at a hospital on T1s during the day so I don't have access to the router until I get home. Oh and I should mention that I had no hand in setting any of this up. I was just asked to help after the fact, to which the owner gave me access to the equipment so I could look at settings.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:18 pm

He should ask someone experienced. Rather don't touch anything that works because you both know almost nothing about it.

joshjaks
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 pm

He should ask someone experienced. Rather don't touch anything that works because you both know almost nothing about it.
Preach it! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he would pay someone and I'm stuck with this internet until fiber comes. It could be another month or two or it could be next spring.

Maybe you can help with these two questions. First, is bridge mode good for a core router, or should it be set up in router mode when it's being used for internet service? Second, our CPU usage is nice and low, but it seems that the 1.5 GB of available RAM is always full. Can that cause latency? I can easily convince him to upgrade the router, but won't unless I'm sure it will help. The software on the RB1100AHx2 only allows for 1.5 GB so I can't upgrade only the RAM.

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:01 pm

How many customers does he have on the network?

joshjaks
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:43 pm

How many customers does he have on the network?
Right now it's about 250. That will lower as more of the fiber is installed, but if we have a boom period in our town (oil/gas), I could see that number doubling fairly easily. It wouldn't hurt to plan for a max of 750-1000 clients for reasonable future proofing I would think.

Edit: Btw, I found a resources tab under system that showed me the memory. Turns out we have most of the RAM as free, not used. I was originally seeing this from right clicking the top of Winbox. RAM is definitely not an issue now.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:49 pm

You should do some measurements first. Plug a pc with iperf to the main router into the port grouped in switch group with the port leading to your home. Run iperf between those two machines to see if the bottleneck is core router itself or the network branch. Then do the same through the router. I believe the router is capable enough to handle the traffic, the problem will not be there, but rather in the wifi links or devices involved.

And anyway, having so many paying customers means to be able to spend few bucks on real expert who can effectively help during few hours.

mlow
just joined

Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:36 am

SO! How about a screenshot of the MAIN tab of the UBNT radios (better yet post it on the UBNT forums)? I really don't expect it to be an issue with the configuration of routing, briding, NAT, etc. The 1100AHx2 should have no problem bridging 500Mbps. BUT IT IS POINTLESS TO USE A 1100AHx2 AS A BRIDGE AKA SWITCH. Still, test it by wiring directly to it and see what you get. The WISP guys here are all just WTF'ing at the extreme amounts of NAT you have going on - in most environments public IPs are given out to customers.

Since you are using UBNT radios, I suggest you go to the Ubiquiti forum to ask, but you are effectively looking for some simple things - SNR (noise floor (dBm) - signal level (dBm)) should be at least 20 and ideally better (take away the (-) sign when doing that) for decent connections. Run the built-in spec analyzer at both the AP and client to see what interference there may be. If there isn't any and your SNR is 20 or better, you shouldn't be having it that rough.

Another critical aspect is if you have a bunch of poor connections on an AP, the AP will spend more time sending the same amount of data to those clients than those with good connections, stealing time away from those with good connections. One GREAT way you can deal with that on a UBNT AP is setting priority on the clients with good connections to something better than NONE. Read the AirOS userguide it has a lot of useful information.

There is nothing wrong with taking a look at things with no experience - obviously how else are you going to learn. Just try not to do it haphazardly.. I see the channel and TX power on your AP is breaking regulations if you're in the USA - there's a 30dBm EIRP limit on DFS channels, you're at 48 if you indeed have a 17dBi sector.

Good luck.

EDIT: Want to see your 1100AHx2's /export from the terminal. If you guys had a VPN server you'd be able to reach the router from anywhere, given the VPN has its own public IP or at least port forwarding to it..