Community discussions

MikroTik App

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

design a full duplex...complete integrated....

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:56 am

hi...

i want to design a completely integrated full duplex wireless PTP system using only "Mikrotik" hardware. no OSPF or simulation type.

looking at achieving speeds (actual throughput) of around 600 to 800 Mbps.... or more.

so who else wants to come on this team? :-)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: design a full duplex...complete integrated....

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:53 am

Two antennas, some board, two ac cards and nstreme dual? Should be possible...

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:04 pm

but with 2 cards i don't think i will reach 600+ Mbps...

theoretically it needs 3 streams i suppose.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:22 pm

Do you have a 3-chain direction antenna? Doubt so. But anyway, using two cards with 2 tx chains on one and 2 rx chains on the second you can reach that speed with full duplex. Just need to try. I havent tried it.

PS: Do not beg for karma. Does not look good. There is no contest, you will not gain anything just by having points on your account...

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:53 pm

saintofinternet - there are no full-duplex cards available. Anything like this would be pseudo full-duplex.

That being said I use two triple chain cards w/three dual-pol antennas. One of the antennas I set at a 45 degree polarity angle. This allows the 3 chains to be on different polarities. Although using the 45 degree is not perfect it works well and I get reasonable spacial RF separation for a 2 mile link.

I also do not use OSPF but instead standard routing with the distance cost set higher on one link on each side. This makes it act as a full-duplex setup w/o a lot of overhead. It also has the side benefit of if one of the cards fails the link stays up, albeit ~ half speed but still up....

You'll need a fast RB, no filtering or nat, use an 'edge' router for all of that, something w/o wireless in it.

I easily hit 300mbps, past that it is difficult to have something be able to tx/rx (FTP, etc) a file through the RBs that is fast enough to actually achieve higher speeds. I know that at 300mbps I'm only hitting about 40% on the CPU, at 200mbps it about 35%.....

Hope this helps.

Thom