MikroTik App

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Simple question on link speeds over 17km

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi,

Going to set-up a link between 2 high sites (effectively a backhaul for a while) in a few weeks, already spoke with my supplier and he said this is a reasonable solution but would like more input.

So I am going to use a Netmetal (2W Dual chain) connected to a 30dBi Ubiquiti Airmax/Rocketdish. So my question for the more experienced members, and I know the answer is more of an estimate given environmental issues, what throughput will I be able to get and is possible to get better speeds with a different set-up that won't break the bank? Preferably Mikrotik routers.

Thanks!

(Playing with Radio Link now to get a better idea on Fresnel zone issues)

https://routerboard.com/RB921UAGS-5SHPacT-NM
https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocketdish-lw/

laithmikrotik

Re: Simple question on link speeds over 17km

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:49 pm

what throughput will I be able to get and is possible to get better speeds with a different set-up that won't break the bank? Preferably Mikrotik routers.
that depends on the wireless point to point strength and efficiency

haik01

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:46 pm

So my question for the more experienced members, and I know the answer is more of an estimate given environmental issues, what throughput will I be able to get and is possible to get better speeds with a different set-up that won't break the bank?
What protocol are you using? Do you mean application (layer 7) throughput, or physical speeds? Are you happy with "bursts" of speed, or average?

What tolerance do you have for ping times?

What frequency are you planning to link? What is the interference level in that area? How much water (lakes) will you encounter on the path? How is the fesnel clearance? 100%? 50%?

Did you make a link budget? What is the required level at the far end? How much margin did you take into account? How much margin for heavy rain / snow fall?

So there are a lot of questions you should answer before you can make an "estimate".

But roughly said: it should work. Be careful not to "overpower" the Rx part of the sites. It is possible that your signal is too strong (30 dBi dishes are very very powerful).

Trackboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi,

Going to set-up a link between 2 high sites (effectively a backhaul for a while) in a few weeks, already spoke with my supplier and he said this is a reasonable solution but would like more input.

So I am going to use a Netmetal (2W Dual chain) connected to a 30dBi Ubiquiti Airmax/Rocketdish. So my question for the more experienced members, and I know the answer is more of an estimate given environmental issues, what throughput will I be able to get and is possible to get better speeds with a different set-up that won't break the bank? Preferably Mikrotik routers.

Thanks!

(Playing with Radio Link now to get a better idea on Fresnel zone issues)

https://routerboard.com/RB921UAGS-5SHPacT-NM
https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocketdish-lw/

Our experience is that, high gain antennas and lower tx-power is a better combination in the most cases. 30dBi is good for this distance, so you do not need high tx-power.

According to the calculator in normal case you should achieve at least -55 dBm signal strength with these devices. I planned only 100 mW tx-power.
The speed depending on so many things: clear channels, perfectly clean freshnel zone....and so on.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:18 pm

100-300mbps

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Yeah sorry guys, I realise (now) I left out a lot of needed information but thanks for the answers.

There are no Fresnel issues according to airlink calc by ubnt and we'll be taking down a few antennas (consolidating) and we're the only WISP in the area so interference shouldn't be an issue.

No snow, no lakes inbetween. The middle hill in the pic is also vastly smaller than I made it.

Did decide to go with Airfiber instead for the full-duplex ability.