Community discussions

MikroTik App

GotNet
Topic Author

Don't

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:19 am

set /tool netwatch IP every 10s with the command /sys reboot on a wireless interface that takes 30s to come up. Made me wish for a F5 safe mode.

Mike

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:16 am

ctrl-x when doing something like this :)

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:26 am

And if we are at it:
Don't type "system reset" and confirm on a (very) remote customer system when you just wanted to "system reboot" to fix a small problem... :D
Unfortunately, then even safe-mode is of no use....

Well, if I think about it: Why not disable system reset (and perhaps even system reboot) while in safe mode? I think you could safely assume that if someone is in safe-mode he's configuring something and surely does not want to reboot (without saving, i.e. leaving safe-mode) and also surely doesn't want to reset to factory-default.

How about that? Should be easy to implement and surely wouldn't hurt.
Normunds?

Best regards,
Christian Meis

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:36 am

it's better that we rename the command

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:40 am

yep, "system reset" lead many of my customers to the thought that this will perform a "reset" like on a PC - i.e. a reboot.

Perhaps rename it to "factory-default" or something very clear.

But I think it would be worth thinking about my other suggestion, too:
Disabling certain "dangerous" commands while in safe-mode.

Best regards,
Christian Meis

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:45 am

the objective of `safe mode` is not to disable something, but to restore configuration in case you lose connection after some command.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:56 am

I know that :) - and suggested to extend it to disable commands that you would NOT need while doing CONFIGURATION work. And restoring the factory default or rebooting the router will never be required while doing configuration work and in safe-mode. So disabling those commands wouldn't hurt, but possible help to avoid one or the other desaster ;) ...

Best regards,
Christian Meis

GotNet
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:00 pm

ctrl-x when doing something like this :)
Yeah, safe if you do it first. Maybe a good habit to get in. My "F5" safe mode comment was to disable scripts and such on boot.
I got out of this one by pasting text in console to remove the offending netwatch -quckly- before the reboot. Looks to me that ROS starts timers and internal stuff before a console prompt. Best part is I was at a client site. No spare. No serial cable.

cmit - Gee, if safe mode will really works, your entire config will be restored after a /sys reset. :D

Mike

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Which would be perfectly possible by adopting a system like on Ciscos:

All changes are in memory only. Reboot, and they are gone away. Only a dedicated command writes the current running config to the flash and makes it permanent...

Best regards,
Christian Meis

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:28 am

perhaps if feasible that both

/ system shutdown
/ system reset

should be available through serial and console port only?

how often do you do a reset or shutdown unless you're actually on site and about to pull the plug or reconfigure it from scratch?

GotNet
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:45 am

/ system shutdown
/ system reset

how often do you do a reset or shutdown unless you're actually on site and about to pull the plug or reconfigure it from scratch?
That is a good idea!

matt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:45 am

Yes, I did a "system reset" by mistake on out main backbone in the middle of a normal weekday afternoon, no pressure, only a customer on the phone asking why their intenet was shit, while my business partner yelling reboot!!, reboot!! at the same time behind my ear.

So I typed reset in the confussion. :(

I had one of the fastest trips up the hill for a reconfig.

The only good thing about it was this kind of fixed a lot of problems we had and solved an issue we had with out Routers loosing routes all the time.

GWISA

Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:17 am

This I have yet to try, but I understand that if you do a Netinstall using the 'configure script' option, this will install the OS with your configuration settings as 'default' - so a 'system reset' will merely reset the RB to your original config...

Can anyone confirm this?

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:09 pm

This I have yet to try, but I understand that if you do a Netinstall using the 'configure script' option, this will install the OS with your configuration settings as 'default' - so a 'system reset' will merely reset the RB to your original config...

Can anyone confirm this?
----
as 'system reset' will make lost all your config, and u must reconfig ip, enabled wlan interface, set ssid, band, freq, [AP-Bridge] add list to access-list for clients.
don't do 'system reset' when you are not behin router, for access your router after 'system reset' u must use Mac-Telnet or Mac-Winbox tool.

as 'factory-default' will make your config as first time that machine arrive from manufacture,
from console: /sy bac load=factory-default
make sure before do as 'factory-default', you must have that filename in list of '/files'

Hasbullah.com
----

tneumann

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:04 pm

Which would be perfectly possible by adopting a system like on Ciscos:

All changes are in memory only. Reboot, and they are gone away. Only a dedicated command writes the current running config to the flash and makes it permanent...
I like the way Juniper does it on JunOS even better. In Cisco IOS every command that you type immediately takes effect, even if it is not yet commited to flash and would not be restored after a reboot. For example, if you're logging in to a Cisco IOS box via telnet and issue a "shutdown" command for the interface via which your telnet session is running you've killed yourself off.
In Juniper JunOS all CLI commands only edit a "candidate configuration". CLI commands have no immediate effect on the router. You can make complex changes to the configuration without effecting your session or any customer traffic, then once you think you're done you "commit" the candidate configuration and the router either does apply it in one atomic step if the config is OK or does not apply it at all if it finds any problems, such as the candidate configuration including a reference to a named access list that you removed from the config but forgot to remove from the interface.

--Tom

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:30 am

this is exactly what safe mode does, only that you have to turn it on yourself. ctl+x starts it, and ctrl+x again will commit changes

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:15 am

it's better that we rename the command
renaming the command is a good idea. /system reset and /system reboot are too close - shorthand is only difference by 1 character. I've reset a system on accident before this way.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:24 am

Good to hear I'm not alone :D

Best regards,
Christian Meis

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:47 am

/ system shutdown
/ system reset

I've intentionally done many system reset's remotly before... we build the config of our AP's out of a database and it dumps a config text file for us, it's occosionaly easier to dump a "fresh" config rather then go in and change settings... so I do a system reset, then mac-telnet in from another device on the tower, and paste the config in, do a reboot just to make sure (actually part of the config script) and the AP boots back up 100% configured and fuly functional.