Community discussions

MikroTik App

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Guide: Optimizing your beacons (2.4 GHz)

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:08 pm

I recently learned about beacon frames and how they can use up a lot of the radio spectrum due to always being sent at the lowest speed. Basically, the more SSIDs on the same channel, the worse the channel performance will be due to all the slow beacons causing interference. I decided to do a write up on my blog explaining the issue and outlining a number of solutions.

See https://r1ch.net/blog/wifi-beacon-pollution for more information and what you can do to optimize your beacons and help keep your channels running at peak performance.

athurdent

Re: Guide: Optimizing your beacons (2.4 GHz)

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Great post, thank you. To also optimize 5Ghz I wanted to set my Mikrotik equipment to N/AC in order to remove A support. Interestingly I cannot choose this mode, does anyone know why?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Guide: Optimizing your beacons (2.4 GHz)

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 pm

Great post, thank you. To also optimize 5Ghz I wanted to set my Mikrotik equipment to N/AC in order to remove A support. Interestingly I cannot choose this mode, does anyone know why?

in 5ghz the problem is not as bad because beacons are transmitted at 6mbps, in 2.4ghz the problem is with beacons being transmitted at 1mbps