Community discussions

MikroTik App

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

2.4ghz repeater

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:26 am

From our main tower we have 2.4ghz network that has pppoe and hotspot service. I want to extend that service to a blind spot behind a hill. So I have gone past the hill and want to be able to shoot the back side.

At the moment I have two 2.4ghz cards. One is a directional pointing to the tower. The other 2.4ghz card is attached to an omni.

How do I configure the mikrotik unit so that the signal repeats on the omni without having to use a new set of ip address?

I assume this is wds? and if so what do I set on each of the cards to do this?

-Michael

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:39 am

Michael,
probably configuration example will help you,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_repeater

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:46 pm

Thank You! I saw that example before and I spent two days trying to find that link and searched up and down the wiki... I'll go read and post some more questions I'm sure :P

-Michael

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:00 pm

Ok looks pretty strait forward. Will the end users that are attached to the repeater be prompt for the hotspot service, recieve dhcp address, and pppoe connectivty from the main gateway (shown in the drawing?)

-Michael

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Users will access DHCP, HotSpot, PPPoE if there will be plain/transparent network between main AP and them.

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:27 am

Main Access point has dhcp services, hotspot, and ppoe.

Repeater logs into the access point via ppoe.

I followed the instructions and setup the wds. Repeater was no longer able to log in via ppoe. And no longer able to ping anything.

I am sure it's just my lack of knowlege as to how wds works. Should I assign an perminate ip to the repeater? Should I enter it's mac address in the main access point as always autenticated then setup wds?

Thanks!
Michael

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:25 pm

I think it will be much better to use only one HotSpot or PPPoE for user security. HotSpot should be more flexible tool for security. If you will have transparent bridge between client and HotSpot server (through repeater - interfaces are bridged), then clients should be able to access HotSpot server.

IP address for repeater-bridge is only needed for management, it could work without IP address configuration.

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:01 am

Ok I think I understand.

The repeater is at my home which I also pull internet from the ethernet interface. I setup nat behind it.

Ap ---> Recieve radio -->RB --> Repeating Radio
\
Nat Internet.

The recieve radio at the moment authenticates via ppoe. So I"m assuming what I need to do is mark the recieve radio mac address in the hot spot interface to pass-through. And give a static ip. Then setup the wds bridge links.

-Michael

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 am

hi,

did it work? and what are the results? and what about the miniPCI cards used on both sides?

thanks

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Yes, I got this working last night. It wasn't hard but it was tedius. And I'm not quite done with the settings. I was able to surf the internet using my pda connected to the relay link.

5g feed -->RB -->2.4ghz -->RB -->2.4ghz.

The first 2.4ghz link has hotspot on it so that potential users will see the pop up screen stating that service is available in your area and if you wish to sighn up call by telephone. Would like to add onlin-signup later.

The first 2.4ghz link also has pppoe server running so that end users are not prompted for hotspot they are automaticly loggeed in by placing the user/pass into the router.

WDS is turned on for both rb's and had to setup three radios using wds. The first radio in the rb feed. And both radios in the second repeating rb.

The second 2.4ghz with wds connects into the first 2.4ghz but at this time it is an open network. Seems like I'm going to have to setup hotspot/pppoe server on the second link. I was hoping the hotspot/pppoe on the first rb would run both links but does not.

-Michael

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:51 pm

I think it is better to use one of them HotSpot or PPPoE on main 2.4 GHz router. Then HotSpot or PPPoE will be distributed correctly to all clients, if you have transparent network between AP and particular client.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:03 pm

I think it is better to use one of them HotSpot or PPPoE on main 2.4 GHz router. Then HotSpot or PPPoE will be distributed correctly to all clients, if you have transparent network between AP and particular client.
---
i love mikrotik, i had hotspot and pppoe for far..far aways from our central network.... our network is open and transparant for all

again, thanks Mikrotik and Team
regards
Hasbullah.com
----

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:53 pm

I set the repeater up last night using wds, when I got to the office this morning I found out all of my hotspot/pppoe users could no longer log into the main tower so I had to disable wds.

Reason for hotspot is that people can see this banner add and call for service you can give thema temporary user/pass or sell them dedicated service.

Reason for pppoe is that these end units have a user/password programmed into them so that I can enable disable using radius/billing software if they do not pay there bill. This allows non wireless employee's to handle the billing and not have to log in to the wireless unit and enable/disable a hotspot mac address. For that matter I havn't been able to get mac address hotspot access to work in a good while.

If thers a reason to not run hotspot and pppoe on the same wireless for a technical reason I"m all for listing and making changes but so far I have a network of three towers with 5ghz backhaull to each tower and 2.4ghz radios hanging off running hotspot/pppoe with 40 customers.

At the moment I am not able to place another radio on my biggest tower to send another 5ghz link to my house (which I'm wanting to serve my neighborhood). So I was trying to do a 2.4ghz relay. But enablign wds on the main tower link drops pppoe/hotspot services. I'm sure there is a reason that is happening but I dont' understand enophe about wds to know why yet. Hense this discusstion :)

-Michael

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:08 pm

I set the repeater up last night using wds, when I got to the office this morning I found out all of my hotspot/pppoe users could no longer log into the main tower so I had to disable wds.

Reason for hotspot is that people can see this banner ad and call for service you can give them a temporary user/pass or sell them dedicated service.

Reason for pppoe is that these end units have a user/password programmed into them so that I can enable disable using radius/billing software if they do not pay there bill. This allows non wireless employee's to handle the billing and not have to log in to the wireless unit and enable/disable a hotspot mac address. For that matter I havn't been able to get mac address hotspot access to work in a good while.

If thers a reason to not run hotspot and pppoe on the same wireless for a technical reason I"m all for listing and making changes but so far I have a network of three towers with 5ghz backhaull to each tower and 2.4ghz radios hanging off running hotspot/pppoe with 40 customers.

At the moment I am not able to place another radio on my biggest tower to send another 5ghz link to my house (which I'm wanting to serve my neighborhood). So I was trying to do a 2.4ghz relay. But enablign wds on the main tower link drops pppoe/hotspot services. I'm sure there is a reason that is happening but I dont' understand enophe about wds to know why yet. Hense this discusstion :)

-Michael