Community discussions

MikroTik App

zippydan
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik PoE specs. Is it standard or proprietary?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:16 am

I am currently using two Mikrotik products:

A Basebox 5 and an LHG5.

Do either or both of these use a PoE standard or is it a Mikrotik proprietary solution?

Are there are PoE switches that would support powering these radios safely? For instance, I have several Cisco POE switches in the SG200 and SG300 lines that are of classes P, MP, PP, and MPP, and support different PoE standards at varying total wattages.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Mikrotik PoE specs. Is it standard or proprietary?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 am

There are two ways to provide power, we have produts with either method. None of them is proprietary.

1) Passive PoE, or "Power over Datalines" is used in most lower cost devices. It requires less hardware and is cheaper to make. It makes the device smaller.

2) 802.3af or 802.3at are Active PoE, or "Standard" PoE. Most of the professional switches use this one. It is in more expensive products and is a little more complicated and expensive to make. Some of our products use also this one.

You can see PoE standard in the specifications table of each product.

zippydan
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:10 pm

OK, but there is no standard 80x for "Passive PoE"?

If a switch can provide "Active PoE" then should I expect it to be "backward compatible" with "Passive PoE"?

What I'm really getting at here is if it should be possible to safely simplify the complexity of my data cabinet by removing the Mikrotik PoE injectors.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:41 pm

*dup*
Last edited by savage on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:41 pm

What I'm really getting at here is if it should be possible to safely simplify the complexity of my data cabinet by removing the Mikrotik PoE injectors.
Something like http://extralink24.eu/poe-injectors/ (as an example) is pretty much the best you're going to get... I use those 16 Port Gigabit units myself with a 24VDC/400W power supply.

Not only is 'passive' POE not really a standard, but it's also not widely implemented in terms of switches (hence - low cost devices that doesn't adhere to standards to keep costs down). It get's even more complicated once you start going Gigabit Ethernet as there aren't 'dedicated' pairs for power. 802.3x is really the way to go, but I doubt Mikrotik will make the switch to the "standard". The amount of power that 802.3x delivers isn't enough for some RBs that require more power (multiple radios for example).

networkfudge
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Something like http://extralink24.eu/poe-injectors/ (as an example) is pretty much the best you're going to get...

Not only is 'passive' POE not really a standard, but it's also not widely implemented in terms of switches
Simply not true. The Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch range of switches cover all POE types including passive POE. I use the 24 port 250w version and currently powering 22 POE enabled devices including both passive and 802.3x, (100mbit and gigabit). Go check it out