Community discussions

MikroTik App

sofia.marques
just joined
Topic Author

Mesh configuration

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:31 pm

I have something like this:

One AP with 4 wireless cards, 3 of them for the backbone in 5GHz and one for clients in 2.4GHz. This AP is connect to Internet.

I want to config him like a repeater.
Can someone show me a simple config?

I already look at examples in wiki for mesh and repeaters but can't understand some of the differences between them.

/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2437 ssid=mesh wds-mode=dynamic wds-default-bridge=bridge1 disabled=no

or

/ interface wireless set wlan1 disabled=no mode=ap-bridge band=5ghz frequency=5180 ssid=Main wds-mode=dinamic
/ interface wireless wds add disabled=no wds-address=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X1 master-interface=wlan1

Maybe someone can indicate me some manual.

sofia.marques
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:29 pm

Can someone someone help me in this?

Pleaseeee :(

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:16 pm

the problem is there is no official examples for a different cases or for the most common cases , wiki and this forum are not official so its only for knowing other users how did they succeded with thier setups , whst if no one accept to write his own succesfull setup ? what we can do ?

GWISA

Re: Mesh configuration

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:28 am

I already look at examples in wiki for mesh and repeaters but can't understand some of the differences between them.

/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2437 ssid=mesh wds-mode=dynamic wds-default-bridge=bridge1 disabled=no

or

/ interface wireless set wlan1 disabled=no mode=ap-bridge band=5ghz frequency=5180 ssid=Main wds-mode=dinamic
/ interface wireless wds add disabled=no wds-address=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X1 master-interface=wlan1
These are both the same, except for the frequencies. Adding a static WDS link or allowing one to be created dynamically is exactly the same.
You can also allow a dynamic link to be created, then open it up and click the 'copy' button... this will make it static. You can also add static WDS manually to the bridge, or use the 'dynamic default bridge' to add it.

sofia.marques
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:01 pm

Thank you for your answers.
Now I understand a little more of config a router.

About wireless channels, I know for 2.4GHz we have to choose channel 1, 6 and 11 for 3 wlan cards in the same router.

And for 5GHz, what channels should i choose? If I have 3 wlan cards in a router.

hellspawn
just joined

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm

About wireless channels, I know for 2.4GHz we have to choose channel 1, 6 and 11 for 3 wlan cards in the same router.

And for 5GHz, what channels should i choose? If I have 3 wlan cards in a router.
Sofia, pogledni http://www.hellspawnbg.homeip.net tam ima ICQ nomer shte se radvam da ti pomogna ako imash vuprosi :)

GWISA

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:45 pm

On mikrotik, you can use neighbouring channels in 5GHz - the channel spacing is wider than 2.4, and the seperation is better... can't speak for other brands though...

sofia.marques
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi
First of all thank you GWISA for your answer.

Atanas i´m not from Bulgary and I can't understand a word you wrote :(
Sofia it's my name :D I know that the capital of Bulgary is Sófia!!
By the way sweet nephew :wink:

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:24 am

Sofia, pogledni http://www.hellspawnbg.homeip.net tam ima ICQ nomer shte se radvam da ti pomogna ako imash vuprosi :)
in other words:

take a look at http://www.hellspawnbg.homeip.net where you could find ICQ number, and that he could help you with some answers ;)

i hope that this is still true if you ask in english :)

promind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mesh configuration

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:05 pm

One AP with 4 wireless cards, 3 of them for the backbone in 5GHz and one for clients in 2.4GHz. This AP is connect to Internet.

I want to config him like a repeater.
Can someone show me a simple config?

or

Maybe someone can indicate me some manual.
in other words you need something like roaming...
take a look at this:

/interface bridge add name=bridge1 protocol-mode=rstp
/interface bridge port add interface=wlan1 bridge=bridge1
/interface bridge port add interface=wlan2 bridge=bridge1
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2412 ssid=zone.elitsat.net wds-mode=dynamic wds-default-bridge=bridge1 disabled=no
/interface wireless set wlan2 mode=ap-bridge band=5ghz frequency=5180
ssid=zone.elitsat.net wds-mode=dynamic wds-default-bridge=bridge1 enable-nstreme=yes enable-polling=yes framer-policy=best-fit framer-limit=3200 disabled=no
# for 5ghz security
/interface wireless security-profiles add name=5ghz-sec mode=dynamic-keys
authentication-types=wpa2-eap unicast-ciphers=aes-ccm group-ciphers=aes-ccm eap-methods=eap-tls tls-mode=no-certificates
/interface wireless connect-list add interface=wlan2 security-profile=5ghz-sec

you can add some security profile also for the 2.4 band

this example is already in use by me ;)
it works flowlesly without any problems! / I use mikrotik 2.9.32 /

sofia.marques
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks Promind.
It was very helpfull :D

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 am

that was great , Promind.

but there is a line in the MT example whis I didnt found in yours :
wds add , master-interface ....????

sofia.marques
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:06 pm

This is because he create the wds-mode=dynamic.
That is only used if you create wds-mode=static.

Like this:
/interface wireless set wlan4 mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2437 ssid=Main wds-mode=dynamic wds-default-bridge=bridge1 disabled=no

or

/ interface wireless set wlan1 disabled=no mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2437 ssid=Main wds-mode=static

In the manual they tell the best thing to use is wds-mode=static (pag.241) but a still don't understand why almost everyone shows dynamic config.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:46 pm

There are few very informative and useful old topics,
http://forum.mikrotik.com//viewtopic.php?t=9684
http://forum.mikrotik.com//viewtopic.php?t=10197

Look at the Uldis reply about static/dynamic WDS,
Dynamic WDS is easier when you are making a new mesh system.
If the WDS node count will increase in wide area then lot of wds liks will be establishing and disconnecting the wds links (the nodes wich has very low signal strenght between them).
First place all the nodes in their places enable dynamic WDS, then monitor few hours, days or maybe more to see which WDS links ar stable and wich not. Then start changing these dynamic WDS links wich are stable to static ones. After you have done that, you can disable the Dynamic WDS mode.

promind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:45 pm

This is because he create the wds-mode=dynamic.
That is only used if you create wds-mode=static.

Like this:
/interface wireless set wlan4 mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2437 ssid=Main wds-mode=dynamic wds-default-bridge=bridge1 disabled=no

or

/ interface wireless set wlan1 disabled=no mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2437 ssid=Main wds-mode=static

In the manual they tell the best thing to use is wds-mode=static (pag.241) but a still don't understand why almost everyone shows dynamic config.
I use dynamic because after mt v.2.9.10 there appears bridge mode=rstp :)

GWISA

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:18 pm

I use dynamic because after mt v.2.9.10 there appears bridge mode=rstp :)
Eh?

This will not help you 1% if you have a scenario as described in sergejs' post...

trust me, I've been there...

In a true mesh system, use Static WDS AND connect-list rules for a stable system...

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:49 am

promind in your setup , are you using 5G for the WDS link of the AP's and the 2.4G for clients connections ?
1- i want to know couse i want to do this with my setup , and i dont see difference between the 2 band setup , is it the band ( 5 or 2.4 ) which will decide ? i mean do the 2.4G Wcards in the AP's will connect to each other too ?
this is becouse i want to be use different SSID in each AP ..

2- if I have 3 Node mesh , can i connect the last AP back to the first ( the Main AP ) , if i use RSTP ? no problems ?

promind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:58 am

promind in your setup , are you using 5G for the WDS link of the AP's and the 2.4G for clients connections ?
1- i want to know couse i want to do this with my setup , and i dont see difference between the 2 band setup , is it the band ( 5 or 2.4 ) which will decide ? i mean do the 2.4G Wcards in the AP's will connect to each other too ?
this is becouse i want to be use different SSID in each AP ..

2- if I have 3 Node mesh , can i connect the last AP back to the first ( the Main AP ) , if i use RSTP ? no problems ?
I'm using 5G as backbone connection...one every 400 meters I put another mikortik box with 5G card and 2.4 card antennas are 160' for 2.4 and 15'/pointed ones/ for 5G if 5G connection is lost the 2.4 band is still paired with other 2.4 base station via wds.
DO NOT USE EoIP and bridge for 5G!!! it makes loop!

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:45 am

ok , so nice .... you mean both bands used as Wds connection AT THE SAME TIME ...is this necessary or just for emergency cases , 5G connection lost ..

and using the same Wcard for clients and WDS would it make it slower , i read that once , if its true , can I use only the 5G for backbone WDS ?

ok about not using EOIP , but if i connect the last AP with the first ( WDS ) does it loop ?

sorry for many questions promind ,but i found your answers perfect ..

promind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:20 pm

ok , so nice .... you mean both bands used as Wds connection AT THE SAME TIME ...is this necessary or just for emergency cases , 5G connection lost ..

and using the same Wcard for clients and WDS would it make it slower , i read that once , if its true , can I use only the 5G for backbone WDS ?

ok about not using EOIP , but if i connect the last AP with the first ( WDS ) does it loop ?

sorry for many questions promind ,but i found your answers perfect ..
yes I have 2 master aps connected via ethernet to the main hotspot router/which is linux/ they both are cm9 and wds...other connect to them or to each other/depends/ via WPA2 5G or no security profile via 2.4G, it's something like roaming/take a look at mobile operators construction...I've made something like that and yeah it worx flowlessly :)/

EoIP = ethernet over ip
WDS = shared wireless links /wireless distribution system :)/
take a look at http://forum.mikrotik.com//viewtopic.php?t=11708
if you find solution except wds that will not loop please inform me :)

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:57 pm

thats right , WDS gives you the ROAMING feature as Mobile cells do ..

my question is , I just want to seperate clients connection from the WDS connection , thats mean 5G for WDS and 2.4G for clients only , am I correct ? if we ignore the need for roaming feature ..

its exactle like this drawing :

promind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:24 am

thats right , WDS gives you the ROAMING feature as Mobile cells do ..

my question is , I just want to seperate clients connection from the WDS connection , thats mean 5G for WDS and 2.4G for clients only , am I correct ? if we ignore the need for roaming feature ..

its exactle like this drawing :
then just use static wds for 2.4 :)

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:30 am

for 2.4G ?
in the drawing its obvious that i want the 5G only to be WDS connected to other 5G ..
sorry if i dont get it , i just want to know if can setup like that , i'd never tested WDS and i want to use it , but i need your experience to help me .

the point is : i want to make 5G busy with WDS , and 2.4G busy with clients ..

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:47 pm

if the 5G confg will be :
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=5ghz frequency=5180 
ssid=zone.elitsat.net wds-mode=dynamic wds-default-bridge=bridge1 enable-nstreme=yes enable-polling=yes framer-policy=best-fit framer-limit=3200 disabled=no 
what about the 2.4 confg ?

promind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:06 pm

if the 5G confg will be :
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=5ghz frequency=5180 
what about the 2.4 confg ?
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2412 ssid=zone.elitsat.net wds-mode=static wds-default-bridge=bridge1 disabled=no
/interface wireless wds add name=wds1 master-interface=wlan1 disabled=no

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:36 pm

If you want to use your 2.4GHz radios only for client connections, there is no need for WDS on them. Just set it as an ap-bridge and put it in the same bridge your 5GHz backhaul radio is in. This is what the MT image you posted is setup to do.

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:50 pm

thats what i wanted to hear , so is the config will be like that ( of 2.4G ):

/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=2.4ghz-b/g frequency=2412 ssid=zone.elitsat.net

GWISA

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:35 am

It's not necessary to split the WDS & AP between 2.4 & 5 G.

You could simply use Virtual AP on an interface which is also configured to run WDS as the 'backbone'.

So the 'backbone' WDS portion can be bridged with hidden SSID & WEP key, and the virtual AP can be run as hotspot, PPPoE or whatever...

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:36 am

It's not necessary to split the WDS & AP between 2.4 & 5 G.

You could simply use Virtual AP on an interface which is also configured to run WDS as the 'backbone'.

So the 'backbone' WDS portion can be bridged with hidden SSID & WEP key, and the virtual AP can be run as hotspot, PPPoE or whatever...
While this does work, it adds a few limitations and adds a lot more load and reduces the speed and efficiency of the network. The biggest limitation would be that a virtual AP has to run on the same channel and frequency band, which basically eliminates the ability to use 5GHz for backbone and 2.4Ghz for client connections. A dual radio solution is a lot more flexible, effecient, and expandable.

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:12 pm

GWISA , your solution is a nice trick .. but jarosoup your suggestion KICKS away nightmares far away , its more reliable , sure it is .. now i have this question , whatever the number of sites and RB's in mesh they'll depend on the first one , which is in my case the MT-PC , so i wonder how many online users can my MT-PC handle at the same time ?? those users who connected to the mesh RB's ..

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:52 pm

samsoft08, your biggest limitation will be how many wireless clients (both end-users and other access points) will be connected (associated wirelessly) to your first MT-PC. If you only have a few access points and a few clients on that particular access point but maybe 50 on the whole network, you really only need to worry about bandwidth - both throughput and packets per second. Your bottleneck will most likely be the speed of your Internet connection as 5GHz radios on RB532s can easily do 20-30Mbps. As for active Hotspot users, the MT hotspot can handle at least 200 active users on a PC with a 400-500MHz Pentium class CPU and at least 128MB of RAM.

What you might want to consider doing is running everything but wireless on your PC (routing, NAT, bandwidth queues, hotspot, dhcp, etc) and using a RB532 for your first access point hop. It might be easier to deploy, and give you the ability to install your AP right at the antenna for better RF performance. It will also make things more modular which will make it easier to expand, repair, or recover the individual devices without them depending on each other. And again, it's more efficient (though more expensive) :)