It may be just first impression, but I think it should not be hard to provide proper support for this. Not just for SSID, but everywhere in RouterOS (comments, ...). Well, at least partial support.
Currently it seems that RouterOS does not have problem with any input, but it doesn't really care about anything other than 7-bit ascii:
- WinBox controls use default system single-byte charset. If you enter any special character, it shows correctly on computers with same default charset.
- WebFig does not provide any info about used charset, so it depends on browser's default charset what gets sent to RouterOS. Special characters entered in WinBox do not show correctly in WebFig (some do, but not all). WebFig is not consistent even with itself, enter something, logout, login again and it's wrong.
- CLI does not accept special characters at all. But it can show any special characters entered elsewhere as \XX bytes.
So it seems simple:
- Use UTF-8 as official RouterOS charset.
- For WebFig, just tell browser that page uses UTF-8 and that's it.
- For WinBox, use Unicode controls. Conversion both ways is no problem, there are Windows API functions for it.
- Keep CLI as is, at least for now. Partly for backward compatibility and partly because it's for advanced users who can handle seeing byte codes (they didn't have a choice until now, so it won't get worse).
I almost dare to say that it should be easy.