Community discussions

MikroTik App

ParisDragon
Topic Author

Question about pulling CAT5 cable up towers

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:01 pm

We have had some issues where a cable installed will work for some time and then start having issues (rebooting the box etc.). I have read all over and some people saying the way you pull it could put stress on the inside conductors thinning them and making them more likely to have issues when the weather gets colder or from interferance. I am wondering if you guys have a trick when pulling the cable up the tower that minimizes the stress to CAT5, it is just more fragile than LMR of course. Please let me know, thanks

ejansson

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:58 am

On towers we use "direct burial" gel filled cat 5, it has a copper or tinned covering over the regular cable, followed by a thicker protective outer layer, it is about 1cm thick. and never had a problem. If you use cable with out gel fill a tiny nick or pin hole in the cable will allow water to get inside cause problems. We have also found that regular outdoor Cat five is easily damaged if caught or stepped on, again not an issue with the gel filled dirct burial stuff. If you have a long run make sure your power supply is properly sized as a long run can also cause issues do to voltage drop.

hope this helps

Erik