Community discussions

MikroTik App

timking
just joined
Topic Author

rtsp and bridges with multipoint radios

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:22 pm

I was trying to make part of my network resilient using L2 routing. I have point A connected to point B (a PtMP radio) and hence through several hops to Z. A is also connected to PtMP radio C and hence to Z by a different route. I was thinking that this would make a redundant route for A to Z. All connected via bridges with rtsp. Trouble is, rtsp turns off the entire PtMP radio link thus cutting off all the other users of B or C depending on the route that A takes to Z.

Suggestions? Mesh doesn't work AFIK because all the radios have to be on the same wavelength. Can I somehow subdivide the PtMP connections and have them added to the bridge? Or will I have to use different subnets and rely on IP routing to provide the resilience?

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: rtsp and bridges with multipoint radios

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:59 am

even if you dislike(or cannot use) WDS for some reasons you can use MPLS(or VPLS if you need L2 somehow)?
adhoc support in ROS isn't bad(in fast its one of best, so far), but still incomplete, but become option for.
other popular ideas like sotware bridging over say IPIP or EOIP - kinda heavy for mikrotik devices CPU.
since in "wave3" of 802.11ac then proposed to be converged to 802.11ax smoothly(which imply among merging with 802.11ad, mu-mimo support become mandatory aswell as 20/40/80/160/320 channles and 256/512 QAM and many other things) they planning introduce "roaming" (and some "wave2" devices will get "beta version" of it either)it may similarly find way into ROS as well, over time.