Community discussions

MikroTik App

ErfanDL
Topic Author

Roaming with wired backbone

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi All
Is there anyway to use wireless wds mesh roaming with wired backbone on routerboard?

ErfanDL
Topic Author

Re: Roaming with wired backbone

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Any idea?

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

ErfanDL
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:20 am

Help!!!

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:14 pm

The (positive) impact of wds mesh on the wireless roaming is greatly exaggerated. In short: there is not any positive impact. Those are two completely independent technologies.

Roaming is always a function of client. Protocols exists that allow APs assist clients in roaming, but those are not supported in RouterOS as of now. From my experience, when building a wireless network using Mikrotik equipment, the smoothest roaming experience is achieved with CAPsMAN in Manager Forwarding mode. And that works just great with wired backbone. I also find it helpful to run individual APs with a somewhat reduced transmit power.

ErfanDL
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:41 pm

The (positive) impact of wds mesh on the wireless roaming is greatly exaggerated. In short: there is not any positive impact. Those are two completely independent technologies.

Roaming is always a function of client. Protocols exists that allow APs assist clients in roaming, but those are not supported in RouterOS as of now. From my experience, when building a wireless network using Mikrotik equipment, the smoothest roaming experience is achieved with CAPsMAN in Manager Forwarding mode. And that works just great with wired backbone. I also find it helpful to run individual APs with a somewhat reduced transmit power.
Thanks for reply

where is Manager Forwarding mode ?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:21 pm

The CAPsMAN is considered to be in Manager Forwarding Mode when Local Forwarding Mode is disabled. You can control forwarding mode by either local-forwarding option in the /caps-man datapath configuration or datapath.local-forwarding option in the master configuration profile (with the latter taking precedence over the former).

ErfanDL
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:31 pm

The CAPsMAN is considered to be in Manager Forwarding Mode when Local Forwarding Mode is disabled. You can control forwarding mode by either local-forwarding option in the /caps-man datapath configuration or datapath.local-forwarding option in the master configuration profile (with the latter taking precedence over the former).
Thanks I try it and reporting the result.
for now I run HOTSPOT on RB2011 Ether1 and making ether2 and ether3 to master port of the ether1 and wiring 2 APs to ether2 and ether3 on RB2011 then running WDS Dynamic Mesh on APs for now roaming performance Is good but need trying the Capsman