Community discussions

MikroTik App

dieterjava
just joined
Topic Author

basic help in wireless network needed

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi,
new to this forum and inexperienced with networking and MT routers need an advise, I installed the network with MT setup as switch(bridge). I have internet if I plug laptop into MT or connect to wifi router but I don't have connectivity(no IP) if I plug in after the wireless link. Is this setup basically wrong? should I config MT as router? or crossover cable needed to 2nd link, please, can anyone point me to the right direction? thanks for your help and time
cheers
https://goo.gl/photos/ZMNpZnkULoDy59Ev5
if you can't access the pic please let me know, thanks

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: basic help in wireless network needed

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:45 am

Jajeblonsky,
That's not helpful. People have to start learning somewhere. This does not appear to be a large corporate network.

dieterjava,
While plugged in to the MikroTik, can you ping both of the Lite-beam devices that make up the second wireless link?

Do all four Lite-beam devices have WDS enabled? Interesting things happen across Ubiquiti M devices when they aren't all in WDS mode. I presume that similar things happen with AC devices.

If that's not it, you may want to show us how your interfaces are configured. A "/interface export" in a terminal window will give you the information we will need to figure out if your router is misconfigured.

I like to route across wireless links. My networks tend to be more complex. Isolation of layer 2 broadcast domains help me. Ultimately, it depends on the purpose of the network.

Very few modern network devices require crossover cables. Auto MDI-X has worked it's way into pretty much all ethernet chipsets.