Community discussions

MikroTik App

fgmt
just joined
Topic Author

Wifi over 100m outdoor

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi,

for a new project we need a wifi connection over a range of at least 100 m. I've no experience with wifi in this range.

On one location we have a system that produces some data which has to be sent over wifi to a laptop/smartphone/etc. Both of the systems are mobile and used only outdoors. My idea was to use two mikrotik wifi access points to extend the range of the laptop/smartphone's wifi to handle the 100 m distance in a reliable way. On both ends the mikrotik device would be integrated into a custom housing which would include batteries and other custom hardware.

What kind of product would be sufficient to have a reliable 100 m connection? What kind of antennas would I need?

ErfanDL

Re: Wifi over 100m outdoor

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Using wds dynamic mesh

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

colanderman

Re: Wifi over 100m outdoor

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:22 am

Are there any obstructions? If not you should probably be fine with just a single OmniTIK.

Free-space path loss at 100m is 87 dB. Say the laptop has a 10 dBm (10 mW) transmitter with a 2 dBi antenna. The OmniTIK has a 7.5 dBm antenna. That puts you at 10+2-87+7.5 = -68 dBm, which while only a bit above the OmniTIK's receive sensitivity at its highest speed, should be comfortable at lower speeds. The reverse direction is probably fine too.

If there are obstructions, using a 2nd OmniTIK attached to the laptop (or as a repeater near it) should get you another 22 dB of headroom over the above estimates, enough to clear some simple obstructions.

EDIT: Consider also Metal 2 or Metal 5. Receive sensitivity is not as good, and they are not dual-chain, but they are a bit smaller and ruggedized, which may be better for you. Also 2.4 GHz of Metal 2 would penetrate obstructions better if there are any.