Community discussions

MikroTik App

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

SR9 High failure rate..

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:38 am

Anyone else having problems with SR9's.. 40% of the cards we've put in play seem to have failed or not worked at all. Most of them on first use right out of the packaging...

What gives??? Ubiquiti where's your QA!?!

mwi

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 pm

15 in service as of now, No problems yet. I hope you are wrong!! :D

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:18 pm

we've got 7 in the field currently, just finishing up our initial testing, and just orderd 20 more, for already signed customers. haven't seen any issues yet, I hope what you saw was a random bad batch. I'll be sure to post if we have any issues with them.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:20 pm

15 in service as of now, No problems yet. I hope you are wrong!! :D
What RouterOS verision are you running? I had two 900MHz AP's stop responding after upgrading to 2.9.34. Running a scan/sniffer/snooper returns nothing, no association attempts by any clients.. It's just like the SR9 completely died..

In both situations they were running 2.9.17 ~ 2.9.27 RB532's w/ SR5 (backhaul) and SR9 (AP). Upgraded to 2.9.34 and I can get into the mikrotik, it shows the SR9, but nothing associates, no connection attempts by the CPE's in the log. One AP came back online after swapping the SR9 card. We had to swap the card twice because the new card we put in (right out of the packaging) the first time had the exact same symptoms. Took an SR9 out of a known working test unit, and then the CPE's reconnected and everything started working again.

The second AP I have a tech rolling out to right now, and it's showing the same symptoms as the first.

It's a strange coincidence that both AP's are showing these symptoms after upgrading. I have a few more 900 AP's deployed, that haven't had this problem after upgrading, so I'm guessing its more likely a hardware problem w/ the SR9. I'm sending supout.rif files to mikrotik for good measure. Of the 10 we purchased for testing 4 went bad. We've ordered 20 more of these cards (prior to them failing) and I hope we don't see a repeat of what happened with the first batch.

Are there any known problems with using the SR5 / SR9 together on the same Routerboard? I've done this plenty of times with 2xSR5's or a SR5/SR2 combination...

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:45 pm

Swapped out the 2nd AP's SR9 and with a new one.. Users are now associating...

::EDIT::

I just found out my tech decided to try the faulty card from the first failed AP and it's now working. Could these cards be overheating, or possibly the routerboards are not able to run these cards w/ other SR cards in the mix for long durations?

Are you guys using the SR9's stand alone or coupled with other cards?

mwi

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:40 am

1AP----2.9.19 running 1 sr9, 2 cm9's

1AP----2.9.27 running 1 sr9, 2 cm9's

1AP----2.9.29 running 1 sr9

All sr9's are running on 532 boards, with pac 8dbi omnis, the only problem I have now I think is with the noise floor. It will randomly change from -100 to -80 without warning and return -100 quickly, but it will dump the clients with weaker signals. I have purchased a cavity filter for the 300' tower with the worst noise problem, but have not had time to install yet. Hopefully this week.