Community discussions

tyrrells
just joined
Topic Author

hotspot + CAPsMAN

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi,

Maybe this is a beginners question, but I haven't been able to find any information on wiki or forum.

Suppose I want to create a network of 4 CAPs managed by 1 CAPsMAN, with Open SSID and Captive Portal.

Where should I configure the hotspot profile, upload the html file, etc? In CAPsMAn or in one of the CAPs?

Thanks!

BrianHiggins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: hotspot + CAPsMAN

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:09 pm

I haven't yet tested this myself, though I will probably be doing so in the near future for a similar project. I think it's helpful if you realize that hotspot and capsman are not connected or related functions, and actually have nothing to do with each other.

I believe the correct solution would be to assign a master and a slave configuration to your CAP provisioning profile, action=create dynamic enabled. Make sure that each configuration is assigned to a separate interface or bridge on the CAPsMan (aka the DataPath settings), then install / setup the hotspot on that particular interface or bridge. The hotspot itself has nothing to do with CAPsMan, it's simply running on a specified interface, and CAPsMan's role only functions to connect the client to that interface.
-Brian

http://www.aditumims.com
Complete web based ISP in-a-box solution, designed specifically for Multi-Tenant properties, works great for WISPs too.

tyrrells
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 am

I haven't yet tested this myself, though I will probably be doing so in the near future for a similar project. I think it's helpful if you realize that hotspot and capsman are not connected or related functions, and actually have nothing to do with each other.

I believe the correct solution would be to assign a master and a slave configuration to your CAP provisioning profile, action=create dynamic enabled. Make sure that each configuration is assigned to a separate interface or bridge on the CAPsMan (aka the DataPath settings), then install / setup the hotspot on that particular interface or bridge. The hotspot itself has nothing to do with CAPsMan, it's simply running on a specified interface, and CAPsMan's role only functions to connect the client to that interface.
Thanks for that! I will test that when other projects are finished, and share the results!

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:41 pm

yes, that was correct advice - you create hotspot on interface, so you should add open wlan to that interface
MTCNA, MTCWE

nxnlvz
just joined

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 pm

When you have a working setup for this would you be so kind as to post it. I had tries to do something similar with a trio of networks as VLANs and VirtualAPs (employee / secure POS / customer and guest Hotspot) and it doesn't really seem to function as I would expect. I set it aside until I could work on it again but and that time has arrived.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:01 pm

When you have a working setup for this would you be so kind as to post it. I had tries to do something similar with a trio of networks as VLANs and VirtualAPs (employee / secure POS / customer and guest Hotspot) and it doesn't really seem to function as I would expect. I set it aside until I could work on it again but and that time has arrived.
now hotspot is disabled on my setup (preparation for setup from provider), but there are steal 3 wifi networks made by capsman. the difference will be only one: when you start hotspot wizard you should made it on bridge (or master interface) of your visitors network.
there is screen of datapath:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxq9Y ... lBlX0YySk0
screen of provisioning:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxq9Ym ... sp=sharing
also you should create security cfg and configurations for all your wireless networks
MTCNA, MTCWE

drpater
just joined

Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 am

Create hotspot on CAPsMAN, with capsman bridge as hotspot interface, will be fine )