Community discussions

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Considering setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm

I am considering setting a point to point link between my house to my parents house. Line of sight between these 2 houses is about 400-500 meters. This link will be a wan source from my place and lan line between 2 premises. Will 2 of sxt lite5 suffice for my purpose? Whats the difference between sxt lite2 and lite5?

I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm

I am considering setting a point to point link between my house to my parents house. Line of sight between these 2 houses is about 400-500 meters. This link will be a wan source from my place and lan line between 2 premises. Will 2 of sxt lite5 suffice for my purpose? Whats the difference between sxt lite2 and lite5?
The "2" and "5" in the product name indicate operating frequency (2.4GHz or 5GHz). The "Lite" editions can only act as wifi clients and not as an access point, so you'd need at least one "not lite" SXT.

500m with a clear line of sight is very doable with SXTs.

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 pm

The "2" and "5" in the product name indicate operating frequency (2.4GHz or 5GHz). The "Lite" editions can only act as wifi clients and not as an access point, so you'd need at least one "not lite" SXT.

I see, so is it better if i buy 2 of sxt non lite? Also which is better in term of reliability and speed between 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 pm

No, that is not correct. Lite models can work for point to point links. Non-Lite models are only needed for multiple clients. One client is enough here, so even two SXT Lite 5 would be good enough.

5GHz is always better, because there is less interference in this band. Especially if there is clear line of sight.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

ivicask
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Thats not true, any Mikrotik device can be access point if you have level 4 licence, and for bridging 2 locations even level 3 licence is enough, but you can only connect one device to ap bridge.

I have many sxt2 lite P2P links, i got one at 2km LOS distance im getting 50mbit internet speed from that link..

Lite is just indicator for smaller device compared to regular SXT (less power, less range,smaller "dish"), same otherwise.

Please correct me someone if im wrong..

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:09 pm

No, that is not correct. Lite models can work for point to point links. Non-Lite models are only needed for multiple clients. One client is enough here, so even two SXT Lite 5 would be good enough.

5GHz is always better, because there is less interference in this band. Especially if there is clear line of sight.
Thats good to know.
Actually, there is the tip of a tree that might be in the way of the line of sight. In this case 2.4ghz would be better?

ivicask
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Thats good to know.
Actually, there is the tip of a tree that might be in the way of the line of sight. In this case 2.4ghz would be better?

At 500m anything will work just perfectly fine 2/5Ghz, you dont need to worry even if entire house is in between i got such links and they work fine.

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Thats good to know.

At 500m anything will work just perfectly fine 2/5Ghz, you dont need to worry even if entire house is in between i got such links and they work fine.
What link speed do you get? Whats the max in real life condition speed i will get if i use sxt5?
I am thinking to get faster link speed around 100-200mbps if possible since i will be doing occasional huge file transfer.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

ivicask
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Thats good to know.

What link speed do you get? Whats the max in real life condition speed i will get if i use sxt5?
I am thinking to get faster link speed around 100-200mbps if possible since i will be doing occasional huge file transfer.

You cant get more than 100mbit on any SXT LITE because they have 100mbit ethernet ports, on that distance you will cap at 100mbit speeds due lan limitation, even tho you may get 300mbit wireless speeds on that distance.
If you want more than 100mbit get regular SXT which have gigabit ports, you should be able to get over 200mbit on them without problem on that distance, if you want more get SXT 5 ac which should pull 400mbit +.

nickshore

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

You can use Bridge mode on an SXT lite5 which allows 1 client to connect.
Nick Shore MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/brand/mikrotik
Official UK MikroTik Distributor
IRC chan: #routerboard on irc.z.je (IPv4 and IPv6)

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:29 am

You cant get more than 100mbit on any SXT LITE because they have 100mbit ethernet ports, on that distance you will cap at 100mbit speeds due lan limitation, even tho you may get 300mbit wireless speeds on that distance.
If you want more than 100mbit get regular SXT which have gigabit ports, you should be able to get over 200mbit on them without problem on that distance, if you want more get SXT 5 ac which should pull 400mbit +.
Is product code RBSXTG-5HPacD the sxt5 ac you were talking about ? But then again i must get 2 of this, instead pairing it with SXT5 right?

Also i will erect a pole where the sxt will be mounted to, near a water tower and its made of metallic. Wille there be any problem with speed or signal quality?

ivicask
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 am

Is product code RBSXTG-5HPacD the sxt5 ac you were talking about ? But then again i must get 2 of this, instead pairing it with SXT5 right?

Also i will erect a pole where the sxt will be mounted to, near a water tower and its made of metallic. Wille there be any problem with speed or signal quality?

Yea that is the one, water and metal does interfere if wifi signal is passing thru it, but it doesn't matter if you just mount it on it and face in other direction which has clear view to other ap.
Sorry i didint get the first part, you already have one SXT?Anyways you need matching frequencies aps both sides.SXT AC can connect to any other 5ghz also, but you will get less speeds of course if other side isnt also AC.

vaah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Yea that is the one, water and metal does interfere if wifi signal is passing thru it, but it doesn't matter if you just mount it on it and face in other direction which has clear view to other ap.
Sorry i didint get the first part, you already have one SXT?Anyways you need matching frequencies aps both sides.SXT AC can connect to any other 5ghz also, but you will get less speeds of course if other side isnt also AC.
Nope i still haven't got any of the wireless device. I only have the rb450G. I'll explain the first part. You said if i want to get higher speed, i should get the SXT5 AC, then i was just confirming the product code of the SXT5 AC is RBSXTG-5HPacD.
Next I asked you if I want to get the full speed capability of 400mbps, I must buy 2 SXT5 AC right? Cos SXT5 or SXT lite 5 doesnt have AC mode, correct?
But I will still be able to connect them together nonetheless right, just not with AC mode?

Also if i settle with SXT2 at both ends, will i still get more than 100mbps link speed? They come with gigabyte port.

ivicask
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Consider setting up ptp link between my parents house to my house, any advice?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Nope i still haven't got any of the wireless device. I only have the rb450G. I'll explain the first part. You said if i want to get higher speed, i should get the SXT5 AC, then i was just confirming the product code of the SXT5 AC is RBSXTG-5HPacD.
Next I asked you if I want to get the full speed capability of 400mbps, I must buy 2 SXT5 AC right? Cos SXT5 or SXT lite 5 doesnt have AC mode, correct?
But I will still be able to connect them together nonetheless right, just not with AC mode?

Also if i settle with SXT2 at both ends, will i still get more than 100mbps link speed? They come with gigabyte port.

Correct all you wrote.
And yea you should be able to to get at least 150mbit from SXT2 if not more..