MikroTik App

perarg
just joined
Topic Author

WiFi Roaming (small-sized installation)

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 am

Hello,
i want to create a roaming wifi setup in following environment:
  • An indoor mikrotik router with access point enabled so the wifi range will cover the indoor space.
    An outdoor access point antenna (ubiquiti or what) outside of that building so to cover the courtyard.
Nothing more nothing less.
I would like to know if there is a setup, any advice or any doc to study, so to have only one SSID and when a wifi client is moving from inside to outside and vice versa, automatically moving from one access point to another seamless without switching the wifi APs.

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: WiFi Roaming (small-sized installation)

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:12 am

without switching the wifi APs.
This is physically impossible to move client from one ap to another without switching.
It can be 2 aps in capsman and client will move between them with minimal connectivity loss.

perarg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 am

This is physically impossible to move client from one ap to another without switching.
Excuse my enthusiasm, it is abnormal not to switch. I understand what you mean of course.
There will be switching for sure but yes i mean with minimal loss or no loss (what i called seamless)

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:48 am

You didn't clarified your indoor and outdoor areas need to be covered.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:15 pm

General knowledge says that the same frequency and ssid is the fastest for roaming. But to spread in the available spectrum is the best for link quality for small cost of slower roaming.

perarg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:15 pm

General knowledge says that the same frequency and ssid is the fastest for roaming. But to spread in the available spectrum is the best for link quality for small cost of slower roaming.
Same Frequency and SSID and using CAPsMAN ? The problem i have noticed is when a client is connected to one AP, for example the indoor AP and walks out coming closer to the second AP, the connection is still established through the first AP and it doesn't "switch" to the second AP.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Same Frequency and SSID and using CAPsMAN ? The problem i have noticed is when a client is connected to one AP, for example the indoor AP and walks out coming closer to the second AP, the connection is still established through the first AP and it doesn't "switch" to the second AP.
add reject and accept rules to access list this can help. (for exmple: signal ranger -79..120 action accept an signal ranger -120..-80 action reject) you can try to find range that will be the best for you

perarg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 pm

add reject and accept rules to access list this can help. (for exmple: signal ranger -79..120 action accept an signal ranger -120..-80 action reject) you can try to find range that will be the best for you
I suppose you mean i have to setup CAPsMAN in order to use access lists ? I haven't setup CAPsMAN before, so excuse my ignorance.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

I suppose you mean i have to setup CAPsMAN in order to use access lists ? I haven't setup CAPsMAN before, so excuse my ignorance.
the best way (if you use more than one mikrotik access point) is to use capsman.
it you use ap's from different venders, i think, it will be impossible to create roaming network.
with mikrotik (even without capsman) you can use access rules. with them mikrotik allows connection only with good signal and disconnect devices that have low signal (without disconnection device wouldn't try to connect to the network with best signal)

adhielesmana
Trainer
Trainer

Tue May 02, 2017 6:02 pm

zero roaming or seamless roaming is depending on client ( station ) device roaming ability, on this scene AP's doing nothing.
if your station client is MikroTik, it can move easily from one AP to another AP's because mikrotik have station-roaming feature. and not ALL wireless station device have same feature like that. ( example mobile device's ). CMIIW