Community discussions

MikroTik App

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

How to detect jamming

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:44 pm

I have a friend running a wireless isp about 80Km away from my location.
On one of his APs his system resouce usage jump to 100%.
He swapped the equipment from that location with an AP from another location but the new equipment still does not work at the "Jammed" location, and the equipment that was not working works flawlessly at the other location. It does not matter what frequency he uses. After changing frequencies it is stable for about 20 Minutes then resources jump to 100%..

Has anyone seen this before.. Could it be Jamming?
And if so how to determine if this is so?

Thanks

Hydro
just joined

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:29 am

How about showing us what was seen on the spectrum analyzer before and after this site was set-up?

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:56 pm

Is it possible that a CPE is fried & causing the issues? A damaged CPE might take a while to find a new frequency if it were not running properly.

-=Russ=-

nickb

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Fire up scanning mode and see what other SSID's are floating around. If you are in a noisy location you may need to change to horizontal polarization, we had this problem at our main location a couple of years ago - so many AP's and clients and home units transmitting that our noise floor was something like -70 and most clients were having serious issues. The solution was pacific wireless waveguide antennas (HPOL omnis: http://www.pacwireless.com/products/omni.shtml).

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:47 pm

Unfortunately I do not have a spectal analyzer.
The signal strengths of my clients range from -60 to -74.
the signals dropped to -95 for 80% of my clients.

During my scanning I did find a new ssid = NWA-L1-OMNI
NWA = No Wireless Access
The Mac address was consistant to a Buffalo Pre-N unit which is known to act as a jamming device for 2.4GHz.

I do know who did this through associates, however the problem stopped before I could gather sufficient evidence.

Legally the crtc and fcc do not take action, however, a lawsuit would not be out of the question, as intent can be enough to win a suit.

I am just letting all know what the status is on this issue.

nickb

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:13 am

Yes, pre-n routers can definately cause a probelem, I've seen it before. Simply changing the channel and disabling turbo mode if enabled will fix the problem - as long as it doesn't overlap, you should be ok.

Instead of sueing, you could knock on their door and politely ask them to change channels....