Community discussions

MikroTik App

jerrino77
just joined
Topic Author

Local forwarding vs. CAPsMAN forwarding

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Hello all, i would ask to you what kind of difference there is between choosing "local forwarding" or "CAPsMAN forwarding" in datapath settings. I mean, when choose one instead another? Number of expected clients? CPU/RAM of CAPsMAN controller? Or CPU/RAM of CAP? Network topology? i've read the wiki, but i did not find nothing useful to clear my doubts. What are the pros and cons which are in the two configurations? Can you please explain me some useful example please?

Thanks

PS. for admins/mods, feel free to move this topic in the most appropriate section, thanks

gustavomam
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Local forwarding vs. CAPsMAN forwarding

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi.

It is really simple. There are two planes in wifi: data plane and control plane.

By default local forwarding is disable: it means control (capsman) and data ( data from user to internet) are going to capsman manager
If you enable local forwarding: your control will be manage in capsman router and the traffic user data will be forward locally in wireless interface, so you can choose a different gateway to route your traffic and it don't have to be capsman manager.

is that clear?
Last edited by gustavomam on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi.

It is really simple. There are two planes in wifi: data plane and control plane.

By default local forwarding is enable: it means control (capsman) and data ( data from user to internet) going in the same routerboard
If you disable local forwarding: your control will be manage in capsman router and the traffic user data will be forward in other router in your network.

is that clear?
did u mean... "By default capsman forwarding is enable" ???

gustavomam
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:33 pm

I have edited my post because it was mistake. am i right now?

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:16 pm

yes it is correct

jerrino77
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes @gustavomam, that was pretty clear. So, in basic words, i could have more than one WAN connection (AKA more than one internet provider), more than a gateway, more than a router, many many CAPs, but only one CAPsMAN. Am I right? Have you some practical example to show me? Not necessarily real, but a typical one.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 pm

You can have more CAPSMANs operating different sets of AP/CAPs but each CAPSMAN needs to be instaled on separated router.

alexanwar
just joined

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:45 am

the CAPsMAN forwarding even works for remote access point connected through VPN, so basically you can deploy remote access point using whatever means of connection to your network. off course, performance is based on the performance of the VPN. i'm using this for deploying wifi hotspot among multiple location with single captive portal on the core network.

one of the unexpected result that we like is: when the wan connection loss/disconnected, the wifi is gone too. this actually solve our issue to detect internet connection so user won't have blank connection (connected to wifi but no internet) anymore. no internet, no wifi :D