MikroTik App

KimC
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Large difference btw upstream and downstream

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Hello all !

On our multiple link 5 GHz backbone, we have allways experienced a significant speed difference between upstream and downstream - often a factor 2 or more better in direction of the users. We see this on real traffic and also when testing with various techniques. This is too bad, when you have a symetrical internet connection :-(

It is not a resource bottleneck - we have pc's where the load is high.

It is not a routing problem - the problem persists on a bridged network.

N-streme doesn't make a difference.

The link speed (utp) is typically 30-40 Mbps downstream and 12 - 20 Mbps upstream on a 3-hop link

The radio links are good, typically -60 to -70 dB. We do, however, have some interference from our own network, which is quite large with a relatively high number of links. On the other hand, we have been optimizing the links over a long time (years), and everything is in general working good.

Recommendations ???

Regards from Denmark
KimC

nickb

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:32 am

Without more information I would have to guess that you are having interferance problems. Perhaps a directional is pointing in such a way that it is effecting only one end, and you can transmit fine but not receive very well.

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:08 am

I kinda had the same problem on a Nstreme2 link. The fix was switching the tx and rx on each side. It was like moving the AP to the other side of the link.
I'm not sure if that helps, but I thought I would share since I'm stuck here sitting in my truck till someone gets here at the CO to reboot a DSLAM. I get to go watch. LOL, WEEeeee what fun!