Community discussions

MikroTik App

bjsilva1
just joined
Topic Author

CPE mode unable to connect to wireless on HAP AC lite.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:29 am

I have two Mikrotik units, a Groove and a HAP lite.

On the Groove, I have no problem putting it into CPE mode and having it connect to an access point. However, trying to do the same thing on the HAP AC Lite, it scans the available networks, I select the one I want and enter the password. As soon as I do, it tries to connect and just sits there.

The radio works, if I put the unit into AP mode, I can connect to it just fine.

The HAP lite has had 6.37.5, 6.38.7 and 6.40, all with the same results. The Groove has 6.35.? and works fine.

Should I downgrade by HAP to 6.35 or is something else wrong?

Thanks,
Brad

bjsilva1
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CPE mode unable to connect to wireless on HAP AC lite.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:50 pm

My mistake, the Groove has 6.37.1.

Is there a different procedure to downgrade software? I've tried installing 6.37.1 on the HAP, using the same method I used to upgrade it (copy the file to the root of the drive and reboot), but after three attempts, even after a full reset, it's still running 6.40.

Any ideas?

bjsilva1
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 pm

This keeps getting weirder...

I was looking closely and realized that the WinBox QuckSet screen showed that the Wireless band was set to one of the 5Ghz settings. I clicked on the drop-down and none of the available settings were 2.4Ghz. Weird, but okay. I moved one of the APs I was testing against to 5Ghz and got another surprise. The 5Ghz AP wasn't listed. My laptop sees it just fine, bit the hAP does not.

It appears that it's trying to connect to the 5Ghz band, but it is scanning the 2.4Ghz band. ?!?!?!?!

(Image attached)

I guess this explains why it works on the Groove, it's a single-band radio.

So, I think I've found a bug in RouterOS.

Do you guys agree, or is there another explanation?

Thanks,
Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gleb
just joined

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi Brad,

I have exactly the same issue with my Mikrotik hAP ac (software v.6.40.1) - in Quick Set CPE only 5GHz band is available, while in list shows only 2GHz networks.
I have also tried to disable 5GHz (wlan2 in my case) - nothing changed.
From my point of view it's a bug. What are the steps to raise it up?

Does anyone knows if it is possible, and how - todo the same e.g. from commad line or using other interface options? I have started trying to connect by creating virtual interface, but failed, then came to this quick simle set, and also failed, then googled and found this topic.

Thanks,
Gleb

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:45 pm

You cannot change the hAP ac lite to a CPE on one radio using the Quick Set page. Do not use the Quick Set page for any settings if you want to have one radio set as a CPE and the other as an AP.

Below are the basic steps needed to set one radio as a CPE. I would use Winbox to make the changes. Substitute wlan2 for wlan1 if you want wlan2 to be CPE. These steps worked on v6.40.1. The should work on earlier version but there may be some Firewall Rules that need to be changed.

You down grade a routerOS version by loading the older version into Files and then going to System->Packages and selecting Down Grade and then rebooting.

1. In interfaces set ether1 master port to ether2-master
2. In Wireless->Security Profiles for wlan1 create new profile called CPE with the security key for the AP you want to connect to.
3. In Wireless->Interfaces set wlan1 Mode="station", Security Profile=CPE
4. In Bridge->Ports delete wlan1 from Bridge
5. In IP->DHCP Client change interface from ether1 to wlan1
6. In IP->Firewall NAT add rule chain=srcnat Out-Interface=wlan1 action=masquerade.
7. Go to System->Reboot and reboot router
8. Log back into router
9. Go to Wireless->Interfaces and open wlan1 details. Click on Scanner and scan for your AP and connect

massafiri
just joined

Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:00 am

You cannot change the hAP ac lite to a CPE on one radio using the Quick Set page. Do not use the Quick Set page for any settings if you want to have one radio set as a CPE and the other as an AP.

Below are the basic steps needed to set one radio as a CPE. I would use Winbox to make the changes. Substitute wlan2 for wlan1 if you want wlan2 to be CPE. These steps worked on v6.40.1. The should work on earlier version but there may be some Firewall Rules that need to be changed.

You down grade a routerOS version by loading the older version into Files and then going to System->Packages and selecting Down Grade and then rebooting.

1. In interfaces set ether1 master port to ether2-master
2. In Wireless->Security Profiles for wlan1 create new profile called CPE with the security key for the AP you want to connect to.
3. In Wireless->Interfaces set wlan1 Mode="station", Security Profile=CPE
4. In Bridge->Ports delete wlan1 from Bridge
5. In IP->DHCP Client change interface from ether1 to wlan1
6. In IP->Firewall NAT add rule chain=srcnat Out-Interface=wlan1 action=masquerade.
7. Go to System->Reboot and reboot router
8. Log back into router
9. Go to Wireless->Interfaces and open wlan1 details. Click on Scanner and scan for your AP and connect
This was super helpful, thank you for this.
I managed to get it to work with one Access point (Netgear), but with a Meraki AP its just stuck on "Searching for Network". Tried to reset the unit, still not working.

Another question
Would setting the mode to station pseudobridge create a L2 bridge on the LAN ports of the Microtik?

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Station-pseudobridge should allow L2 data to go to a single end user device connected to the hAP ac Lite LAN ports; essentially a single PtP connection. If the hAP ac LIte cpe is connected to a Mikrotik AP then the hAP ac Lite will set its Wireless mode to Station-bridge and you will be able to support multiple devices on the LAN.
See https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... tion_Modes