Community discussions

MikroTik App

benthompson
just joined
Topic Author

New hardware form factors desired

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:06 am

We install a lot of WiFi in residential high rise buildings. Before the end of the year we're booked to install another 950 APs in various new buildings.

At the moment we're using Ubiquity UAP range. But I really don't want to. Each year their wholesale price point rises, and their software is missing some key features we'd love to have. I'd really like to be using Mikrotik devices instead. However there's just no unit that meets our requirements. Could one be made? We would litterally order a 1k units per quater ongoing, if there was the right unit availabile.

Think of a standard hotel. Most of our APs are installed in the corridor outside each unit (with plaster board walls, it works well), though we're moving increasingly to install them inside each unit to give the better speeds and coverage.

Desired hardware for APs installed in corridor ceilings:
Best possible coverage
We only need to deliver 100Mb speeds (it's internet after all), though we need the best possible range. UAP-AC-LR works fairly well with 3dB antenna and 22/24dBm radio. We need both 2.4GHz (best penetration) and 5GHz (best speed), though higher MIMOs don't seem to make much different. We'd be happy with 2x2.
Powered by passive 24v PoE
It's impractical to cable power in, of course. 802.3af/at is neat, and that would be nice, but it would push up the unit cost and it's just not worthwhile unless the cost was similar.
2x 1Gb NICs with PoE passthrough
I'd be satisfied with 1x 100Mb NIC, though realizing the switches can output 17W/port, and APs typically use 6W/each, there's a screaming possibility of running multiple APs on a single cable. That could significantly reduce our cabling cost.
Simple, uncluttered enclosure
We install our APs inside the ceiling. It makes for a faster install process, a cleaner finish, and seems to have negligible affect on coverage. The downside is that it's amoungt the dust and cabling in there. Other service people will be working with other equipment there too. If you get the current wAP enclosure and put a big WiFi symbol on it (so other trades people know what it is) it'd be perfect. Occasionally units are mounted near indoor swimming pools, or outdoors near BBQ areas, so waterproof is a huge plus there.
CAPs config by default
We might install 200 APs in a building, so it's impossible (or labour expensive) to configure each one during deploy. A great default config with CAPs enabled, and the two interfaces bridged is really quite essential. Ubnt's ability to assign a controller IP via DHCP is perfect. I understand CAPsMAN's alternative can work well too.

Desired hardware for APs installed in units:
Really, clone a Ubiquity's UAP In-wall. It's darn near perfect. I'd love the following tweaks though:
Only needs one user-facing ethernet port, no need for PoE
PoE on the user-facing port is cute, though we don't need it.
Powered via 24v passive instead?
I don't mind 802.3af/at at all, though if it adds to the unit cost I'd ditch it.
Run RouterOS
This is the bit that holds back Ubnt's product. It would open our business up real new opportunities if I could bridge the customer facing port with a L2 tunnel (like VPLS). If it ran RouterOS this would be trivial.

I hope others will confirm that there is a need for these units, or better yet - give comments on how these two use-cases can be better served.

sup5

Re: New hardware form factors desired

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 am

wsAP ac lite

https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/EU17/2017-eu.pdf

So it seems you just have to wait a little bit...

benthompson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am

Gee, the wsAP does look very promising!

No joy with the cAPs though - they're still lacking 5GHz and high antenna/radio specs.

Thanks for the pointer @sup5!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 am

We are also working on exciting new ceiling mount APs that hopefully we can announce in near future.

benthompson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks @normis,

Maximum range (like Ubnt's UAP-LRs) and daisy-chain ability are my top two dreams.

By-the-by - I'm glad to see decent sized PoE switches coming. That was my next dream topic.