Community discussions

MikroTik App

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Very poor wifi performance with mAP : how can I replace it ?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:10 am

Hi everybody,

I have a very basic setup with a RB3011 as main router and a mAP as deported access point. The wireless settings are the default one. For security I enabled WPA2 + aes only. The mAP is installed on the ceiling and I don't think there is a cable problem (cat 5e, tests are ok). The mAP is powered on ethernet.

I observe a very poor WiFi performance even with only one user using the wifi : the bandwidth is very variable and can go from under 1 mbps (often) to 12mbps (maximum ever observed). In other words, the wifi is totally unusable, even when I'm standing right under the mAP. When I plug a small netgear router (which cost half the price) at the same place, I have a good coverage and enough bandwidth. But when I switch back to the mAP, the problems are starting again.

Right know I'm thinking about trying another mikrotik device instead of the mAP because I've spent so much time on it already, I've lost all hope to get it work.

My question is the following : is there any wireless product in the mikrotik catalogue that can handle up to 15 users on the WiFi (office usage). I don't want any fancy stuff, I want a robust, working Wifi. I'm thinking about the RB951Ui-2HnD because I'm too scared to repeat the same experience if I go for cAP or hAP.

Is this a good product ? Will it cover my needs ?

Thanks,

Cyril

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Very poor wifi performance with mAP : how can I replace it ?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 am

the mAP easily handles 15 users at the port speed, so more useful would be to post your config and the registration table data (tx/rx/noise values) so we can help you resolve the speed issues.

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello normis,

Thank you for your answer, here is the mAP exported configuration :
It's not the cleanest since I'm doing a lot of tests in a lot of ways ... it may contain errors atm.
# aug/02/2017 10:46:11 by RouterOS 6.39
# software id = AH6I-2PKJ
#
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=E4:8D:8C:7F:3C:E7 auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
add name=bridge-vlan-prive
add name=bridge-vlan-public

/interface vlan
add interface=ether1 name=vlan-prive-eth1 vlan-id=3
add interface=ether1 name=vlan-public-eth1 vlan-id=2

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=wifi-public supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa-pre-shared-key="*****" wpa2-pre-shared-key="*****"

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge name=wlan-public security-profile=wifi-public ssid=public wds-default-bridge=bridge-vlan-public wds-mode=dynamic-mesh wireless-protocol=802.11
add mac-address=E6:8D:8C:7F:3C:E7 master-interface=wlan-public name=wlan-prive security-profile=wifi-public ssid=intra wds-default-bridge=bridge-vlan-prive wds-mode=dynamic-mesh

/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf disabled=yes interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge-vlan-public interface=vlan-public-eth1
add bridge=bridge-vlan-prive interface=vlan-prive-eth1
add bridge=bridge-vlan-prive interface=wlan-prive
add bridge=bridge-vlan-public interface=wlan-public

/interface l2tp-server server
set caller-id-type=ip-address

/ip address
add address=10.0.10.2/24 interface=vlan-public-eth1 network=10.0.10.0
add address=10.0.0.2/24 interface=vlan-prive-eth1 network=10.0.0.0

/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf dhcp-options=hostname,clientid interface=ether1

/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related" connection-state=established,related
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all from WAN" disabled=yes in-interface=ether1
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related" connection-state=established,related
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf:  drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new in-interface=ether1

/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" out-interface=ether1

/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=10.0.10.1

/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Paris

/system identity
set name=MikroTik-mAP

/tool mac-server
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=yes
add disabled=yes interface=bridge

/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=yes
add interface=bridge
And here is the actual registration table :
 # INTERFACE                                                                                                                                               RADIO-NAME       MAC-ADDRESS       AP  SIGNAL-STRENGTH TX-RATE UPTIME              
 0 wlan-public                                                                                                                                                              B8:57:D8:D6:2F:CD no  -75dBm@12Mbps   57.7... 3m48s               
 1 wlan-public                                                                                                                                                              38:94:96:F7:95:07 no  -51dBm@6Mbps    54Mbps  3m20s               
 2 wlan-public                                                                                                                                                              EC:10:7B:23:C7:A9 no  -62dBm@1Mbps    39Mb... 2m16s               
 3 wlan-public                                                                                                                                                              84:C7:EA:43:0D:ED no  -65dBm@1Mbps    11Mbps  1m31s               
 4 wlan-public                                                                                                                                                              84:A6:C8:E3:2E:F7 no  -53dBm@6Mbps    1Mbps   1m28s 

I also have another problem : I have two devices (laptop), situated 5 meters away from the mAP (plain sight) and getting disconnected every 2 or 3 minutes. And the same, when we use the cheap netgear device these laptops have no problem at all.

Let me know if you see something wrong with my configuration, of if you need more informations on anything. I can run some test today but after that the time is out for that mAP, I will had to replace it since I need to move to something else.

Thanks,

Cyril

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello,
Is there any log messages regarding wireless disconnection? Could You please enable wireless logging and check disconnection reason?
You can also run frequency-monitor to check frequency usage:
/interface wireless frequency-monitor wlan1

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi antonsb,

Thank you for your answer but the two laptops having the disconnection problem are in vacation now, so I cannot reproduce the problem until they come back at the end of the month. The other devices does not experience the disconnections, only those two.

I ran some bandwidth test between the mAP and the RB, and test with another cable as well, there is no difference : the bandwidth is 98mbps between these two. I'm looking at my phone connected to the mAP right know and the internet bandwidth is 0.23 mbps :(

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi guys,

Unless you see something wrong in my configuration that can cause the wifi issue, I think I will move on and buy a new stuff. My mAP must be defective because out of the box, the performances are terrible. When I recieved it I had a problem after upgrading the firmware and I had to contact mikrotik support to get it back (it was half bricked), maybe this is related.

I think I will go for the RB951G-2HnD which looks great.

++

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:27 pm

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Very interesting indeed.

I'm running a test with the mAP on a plastic surface, because the ceiling is made of metallic grids ( modern design ... ). I will keep you in touch.

In the meantime I ordered a RB951G-2HnD to see if there is a difference at the same spot.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:29 am

You can carefully open the mAP and remove the magnet. Older revisions had a problem with magnet affecting the Ethernet, it was fixed by special magnetic isolator inside. You can also just remove the magnet to test if this is the cause.

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi,

I will try that, I'll keep you in touch.

I can already tell that putting the mAP on the floor instead of the metallic ceiling has improved the performances, but it's still not a smooth wifi (I still have huge up and down on the bandwidth).

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Hmmm, I have a mAP and not a mAP lite and I didn't see any magnet inside :(

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Sorry the router name confused me.

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Actually after a few days of run on the ground, the problems are still there. There is no significant amelioration.

I think I have less 0 mbps moments, but I still have < 1 mbps moments, which make the Wifi barely usable for office use.

Waiting for my RB951G-2HnD now.

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi !

The RB951G-2HnD is running for a few days and this is MUCH better. The bandwidth is around 70mbps with the exact same configuration and we didn't get any massive bandwidth drops.

But we have disconnections :(

On all stations, from time to time (like 4 to 6 time per hour), the Wifi disconnect. Laptops as well as smartphones are concerned.

In the logs for each disconnection I have : AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF@wlan-public: disconnected, extensive data loss

It happens on both interfaces : the virtual interface (wlan-public) and the physical interface (wlan-prive).

I tried to enable the WMM Support on the wireless interfaces but this is still happening at the same frequency.

Everything else is out of the box except security.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

NB1 : I can provide any information you need to help debug this problem.
NB2 : If I should create another thread for this problem just tell me I will close this one (as defective mAP) and open a new one concerning the RB951G-2HnD

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Which firmware and routeros version do you use with the 951? Although my config is definitly different from yours, I had problems with 2.4 ghz interfaces with a hap ac and 951 with 6.40.1 (I could not connect to them sometimes). The bugfix release 6.38.7 seems better. You might check the wireless channel you're using also. To make sure it isn't used by another strong wifi signal.

dubuscyr
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am

The device came in 6.35.X (don't remember the X) and I upgraded it to 6.40.1.

In your case does somebody confirm there is a problem with the 6.40.1 and what was it ?

Thanks,

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:08 am

Try channel 1,6 or 11 - no extension channel (20MHz only).

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 pm

The device came in 6.35.X (don't remember the X) and I upgraded it to 6.40.1.

In your case does somebody confirm there is a problem with the 6.40.1 and what was it ?

Thanks,
My users did. I received feedback that wireless works flawless again after downgrade to bugfix 6.38.7. But there's not an official confirmation from Mikrotik if that's what you're looking for. In my wireless environment with a HAP AC and a 951 the bugfix version 6.38.7 seems rock solid. Maybe in yours too.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:44 pm

solved on 6.40.8 (bugfix old bridges) and 6.42.1 (current new bridges)