Community discussions

MikroTik App

QuackPhD
just joined
Topic Author

[Solved] CAPsMAN - WAP AC - 5GHz - No Supported Band - United States 3

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:03 am

Hello, first time poster, despite writing plenty of Mikrotik guides. I'm finally gotten stuck.

Thank you for taking the time to read and any constructive help is greatly appreciated.

On two separate installs now, one with a router of a CCR1036, and now a RB2011, I cannot get CAPsMAN to deploy a WAP AC that broadcasts both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies. It used to not be an issue on the international version, however, we can now only obtain United States edition WAP ACs, which are in country code "united states 3".

I can connect just fine on either SSID, I get full connectivity, but 5GHz simply will not broadcast.
I receive the error, photo attached:

no supported band, radio locked to country 'united states 3'

Running Firmware 6.40.2 (Stable)

Setting:
Configuration 1 - 2.4GHz
Channel: 2.4GHz, 20MHz Control Channel, Band 2ghz-g/n, Extension Channel Disabled, Tx Power: 18dB.
Configuration 2 - 5GHz
Channel: 5GHz, 20MHz Control Channel, Band 5Ghz-a/n/ac, Tx Power: 18dB
Skip DFS Checked (didn't work unchecked either)

Provisioning
Action: Create Dynamic Enabled
Master Configuration: Configuration 1
Slave Configuration: Configuration 2

Setting up the WAP AC as a standalone unit works fine. However, I have 40 WAP ACs I need to provision, and it doesn't make sense to configure 40 independent units, hence CAPsMAN.

Hoping there is something simple I'm missing, thank you for any help you may provide. Thanks!

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CAPsMAN - WAP AC - 5GHz - No Supported Band - United States 3

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

Did you choose the united states 3 country in the CAPsMAN configuration when setting the CAP?

Please make a support output file from the CAPsMAN and the CAP and send to the support@mikrotik.com

QuackPhD
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CAPsMAN - WAP AC - 5GHz - No Supported Band - United States 3  [SOLVED]

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Woohoo! Figured it out with your recommendation to set the country code in the CAPsMAN Configuration, and a bit of playing around.

Thank you for your quick response, it is greatly appreciated!

For anyone else that may come across this, I had to do a few things to get the WAP AC broadcasting on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz
  • Create two channel entries with different bands. For example, 2.4GHz may be 2ghz-g/n, and 5GHz may be 5GHz-a/n/ac
  • Create two configurations, one for each channel entry, and if using a region-locked device (like United States 3), specify the country code under country
  • Create two provisioning rules. The WAP AC has two different physical NICs/Physical Interfaces, so there will be two MAC Address entries. They must be provisioned separately. For Provisioning Rule 1 (2.4GHz), set the filter of "Hw Supported Modes" to a 2.4GHz setting, like "gn", this way your 2.4GHz Provisioning rule only applies to MAC Addresses capable of broadcasting 2.4GHz. For Provisioning Rule 2 (5GHz), set "Hw Supported Modes" to a 5GHz setting, like "ac". Use the standard action of "create dynamic enabled" to auto-adopt and provision any WAP ACs units set in CAP mode.

youbecha
just joined

Re: [Solved] CAPsMAN - WAP AC - 5GHz - No Supported Band - United States 3

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks, I was pulling my hair out trying to get this working...I was missing the "HW supported modes" or the "Band"...don't remember, but your post sorted it all out!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Didn't have this problem in the US.

Had to log into some APs and issue...
/interface wireless cap set bridge=bridge discovery-interfaces=ether1 enabled=yes interfaces=wlan1,wlan2
But dual band same SSID was never an issue.

a9265211819
just joined

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Code: Select all

Thanks! Useful info, well done😀

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Helpful. I was close but using the hardware supported modes per recommendation got deployment working correctly. BTW, I also have virtual APs for each radio for guests with guest SSIDs and separate security configurations. I duplicated each of the two configurations to specify those for a total of 4 configurations.
A little off topic, but does anybody know the difference between the four country codes for the United States?

alfregil
just joined

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm trying to follow the instructions but getting the error of not supported channels on 5 Ghz

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 pm

I had similar problems but tried so many things that I am not sure what fixed it. I recommend starting all over by resetting the AP to CAPs mode. That clears out any configuration that might have been done manually and puts the device in bridge/ap mode. Ultimately, the only thing I configured manually in the AP were the login credentials and LED settings. All other configuration was done by CAPsMAN.

Once I had the CAPsMAN configuration correct, all I had to do was go to the Remote CAP tab, select the AP and click the provision button. I had previously set the identity of the CAP. Below is the configuration with my SSID replaced by xxxx andI have not shown the security configuration. I use the convention of my normal SSID with a suffix of G for the guest SSID. The security configuration has separate passcodes for the guest and non-guest SSIDs. I have nothing set for rates or Access List.

/caps-man> radio print
Flags: L - local, P - provisioned
# RADIO-MAC INTERFACE REMOTE-CAP-NAME REMOTE-CAP-IDENTITY
0 P CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:67 MikroTikAP-BR-1 [CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:60] MikroTikAP-BR
1 P CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:66 MikroTikAP-BR-2 [CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:60] MikroTikAP-BR

/caps-man remote-cap> print
# ADDRESS NAME STATE RADIOS
0 CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:60/33968 [CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:60] Run 2

/caps-man datapath> print
0 name="datapath1" arp=enabled bridge=bridge1
1 name="datapathGuest" arp=enabled bridge=guestAPbridge

/caps-man channel> print
0 name="2Gchannel" band=2ghz-g/n extension-channel=XX save-selected=yes reselect-interval=1d
1 name="5Gchannel" band=5ghz-n/ac extension-channel=XXXX save-selected=yes reselect-interval=1d

/caps-man configuration> print
0 name="xxxx2" mode=ap ssid="xxxx" country=united states3 distance=indoors security=xxxxwpa2psk datapath=datapath1 channel=2Gchannel
1 name="xxxxg2" mode=ap ssid="xxxxG" country=united states3 distance=indoors security=xxxxGwpa2psk datapath=datapathGuest channel=2Gchannel
2 name="xxxx5" mode=ap ssid="xxxx" country=united states3 distance=indoors security=xxxxwpa2psk datapath=datapath1 channel=5Gchannel
3 name="xxxxg5" mode=ap ssid="xxxxG" country=united states3 distance=indoors security=xxxxGwpa2psk datapath=datapathGuest channel=5Gchannel

/caps-man> provision print
Flags: X - disabled
0 ;;; Provisioning for 2G radio
radio-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 hw-supported-modes=gn identity-regexp="" common-name-regexp="" ip-address-ranges="" action=create-dynamic-enabled
master-configuration=xxxx2 slave-configurations=xxxxg2 name-format=identity name-prefix=""
1 ;;; Provisioning for 5G radio
radio-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 hw-supported-modes=ac identity-regexp="" common-name-regexp="" ip-address-ranges="" action=create-dynamic-enabled
master-configuration=xxxx5 slave-configurations=xxxxg5 name-format=identity name-prefix=""

interface print
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, R - running, S - slave
8 D S MikroTikAP-BR-1 cap 1500 1600 CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:67
9 D S MikroTikAP-BR-1-1 cap 1500 1600 CE:2D:E0:AB:7E:67
10 D S MikroTikAP-BR-2 cap 1500 1600 CC:2D:E0:AB:7E:66
11 D S MikroTikAP-BR-2-1 cap 1500 1600 CE:2D:E0:AB:7E:66
12 R bridge1 bridge 1500 1580 6C:3B:6B:EA:03:A8
13 R guestAPbridge bridge 1500 1600 CE:2D:E0:AB:7E:67

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:58 pm

I get not "supported channel" when I try to set a 5ghz radio to a 2.4 frequency.

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:26 am

That seems reasonable; a 5g radio can't be set to 2.4g. I have separate channel specification for 5g (Band 5ghz-n/ac) and 2.4g (Band 2.4gh-g/n) and separate configurations for 5g and 2.4g. Because each radio has a master and slave (the slave is for guests), that implies 4 configuration; 2 for each frequency. When I set the HW supported mode to gn for the 2.4g provisioning and ac for the 5g provisioning, it solved my problem of trying to use the wrong configuration for a radio. Note that there aren't the same choices for channel Band and provisioning HW supported mode. I'm not sure why, if it matters or what is actually being used.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 am

Note that there aren't the same choices for channel Band and provisioning HW supported mode. I'm not sure why, if it matters or what is actually being used.
"HW supported modes" is not a part of the caps configuration, it is one of the ways to choose for which radio the provision is intended.
For example you can create a separate provision for all the radios that work in ac mode.
Last edited by xvo on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks for the clarification. It was the key that got provisioning automatically going to the right radios, since only 5g can have a and ac. I was able to manually force a provision to a radio but now it does it automatically when I just provision the CAP.

eytualas
just joined

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Sir... I only can have kind words to you, it was driving me crazy to configure the two bands in the same CAP! Thanks!!

Phorta
just joined

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:39 am

Woohoo! Figured it out with your recommendation to set the country code in the CAPsMAN Configuration, and a bit of playing around.

For anyone else that may come across this, I had to do a few things to get the WAP AC broadcasting on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz
  • Create two channel entries with different bands. For example, 2.4GHz may be 2ghz-g/n, and 5GHz may be 5GHz-a/n/ac
  • Create two configurations, one for each channel entry, and if using a region-locked device (like United States 3), specify the country code under country
  • Create two provisioning rules. The WAP AC has two different physical NICs/Physical Interfaces, so there will be two MAC Address entries. They must be provisioned separately. For Provisioning Rule 1 (2.4GHz), set the filter of "Hw Supported Modes" to a 2.4GHz setting, like "gn", this way your 2.4GHz Provisioning rule only applies to MAC Addresses capable of broadcasting 2.4GHz. For Provisioning Rule 2 (5GHz), set "Hw Supported Modes" to a 5GHz setting, like "ac". Use the standard action of "create dynamic enabled" to auto-adopt and provision any WAP ACs units set in CAP mode.
Thank you!! Thank you!!
Thank you!!!

I was already beating my head on this problem for a few days, following several tutorials and I was ready to give up on the capsman

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Thank you!! Thank you!!
Thank you!!!

I was already beating my head on this problem for a few days, following several tutorials and I was ready to give up on the capsman
Once the complaints from sites start rolling in... You will wish you had.

aanset
just joined

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:08 am

Yeah, I figured it out. Thanks for posting. You are really saved my day.

Cramac
just joined

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:00 pm

Hello. set up according to the instructions, does not accept settings for 5g
log:
cap2: failed to select channel, no supported channel

my config
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cramac on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cramac
just joined

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:09 am

if done as in the video, 2 and 5 works but with the same ssid
I want its own config for each frequency