Community discussions

learnyee
Topic Author

WAP AC vs HAP AC

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:50 pm

I am in the midst of deciding between these 2 device, for the usage of WIFI AP. Let's take away the factors of cost, number of GBit Interfaces and the processing power of the unit, and under optimum circumstances, which unit would had the larger WIFI coverage?

I used to setup the WIFI AP using the RB951G-2Hnd which had proven that its WIFI coverage was freaking good, but since the customer start to look at WIFI with AC support, I am stuck with between these 2 models.

Anyone can help to provide some opinion on this?

PS: There is a table on the device page about the WIFI transmit power, sensitivity, anyone can point me to a place that I can read up to understand those?

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: WAP AC vs HAP AC

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:38 pm

If you can use a dual chain unit, instead of these triple ones, there is also another option:

OmniTIK 5 ac
https://mikrotik.com/product/rbomnitikg_5hacd.

Never used. Don't know anyone using it. But looks promising...

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Omni is 5GHz only. hAP AC is 2.4 and 5 GHz.
Lernyee, do you need internal or outdoor device ?
Real admins use real keyboards.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:27 am

If you are comparing indoors - wAP ac is easier for ceiling/wall mount, the hAP ac is better as a traditional router. They have the same 5GHz performance, but the wAP AC's 2.4GHz is a little worse than the hAP AC (2dB instead of 2.5dB, 2 chains instead of three). wAP AC has only the one Ethernet port, hAP AC has a gigabit switch so it can double as a router more easily. For wall or ceiling mount the wAP AC is probably what I would recommend in most cases. If you really want the hAP AC's third 2.4ghz chain and extra 0.5 dB you could stick it in a "StationBox" to get the ceiling mount, but for most people I don't think that will be a big deal.

learnyee
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:07 am

Omni is 5GHz only. hAP AC is 2.4 and 5 GHz.
Lernyee, do you need internal or outdoor device ?
Indoor. I am building a 3 x WIFI AP for a 3 floor building, and what I planned was using the RB260GSP<-(POE)->hAP AC or RB260GSP<-(POE)->hAP<-(POE)->wAP AC

The reason of using the RB260GSP is I need a VLAN switch (I might substitute it with a Hex POE if the price is about the same), and at the end I need either hAP AC or a hAP sitting before the wAP AC because there is a printer and a POS Terminal which would connect to the main network using different VLAN.

I can actually use the RB951-2Hnd if AC is not required, but now I need to evaluate whether the hAP AC or wAP AC has better WIFI performance. Also I am concern on whether the RB260GSP would have enough power to power up 3 unit of hAP AC as it is stated in the fact sheet the max power consumption of the hAP AC is 17W and the power brick of the RB260GSP is 60W only, but if I opt for the combination of hAP+wAP AC, even the total power usage is 17w but can the hAP power up the wAP AC using POE which is 12W?