Community discussions

MikroTik App

kloana
just joined
Topic Author

Transparently bridge two ethernets via sxt

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:04 am

Hi,

i'm currently using two sxt's to extend a l3 network from one side to a other. One sxt is configured AS ap-bridge and the second as station-bridge. With this setup only the untagged frames are transmitted via the bridge.

In future i'm trying to transparently bridge untagged and tagged frames via the wireless link. For this i found 3 solutions.

WDS-BRIDGE, EoIP and VPLS.

When i usw VPLS for the LAN i'm not able to manage my sxt's in future, because all frames are labeled in the incoming interface and transported to the other end oft the VPLS. Isn't it?

Which Version is the fastest in throughput perspective and easiest for management?

Thanks in advance,
BR
Herbert

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Transparently bridge two ethernets via sxt

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:14 pm

I haven't setup a layer 2 bridge to transport VLANs with MikroTik yet. I do the WDS method with my Ubiquiti units. I'd imagine this will be your fastest approach though. You can then setup your management to be either on the untagged network or one of the VLANs that are tagged along the way. Just ensure to set it up as a bridge interface with a matching VLAN interface paired with it.

kloana
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:07 am

Hi,

also with ap-bridge and station-bridge the transparently forwarding for tagged and untagged frames are working. It was my mistake i had to increase the l2-mtu. 1500 is to small to Transport a ethernetframe with 1500 and 4 byte vlan header. ;-)

BR
Herbert

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Do you have WDS enabled?

With WDS enabled, everything bridged, it should be essentially the same as an ethernet cable.