Community discussions

MikroTik App

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Many Interesting Questions

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:20 pm

For area's stay around 0C, 32F all winter what is a good antani to use? Panel? Grid? Dome? Considering wind gusts and icing conditions I'm not too sure what is best for my application. Tower to tower link 3 miles across the valley.

----------------

If I want to install redundancy links what protools and how would i set this up. Example lets say the above link it's 5.8ghz tower to tower across the valley. Using two mikrotik radio's. Do I need to have a certain separation between antani's, should I put one horizontal and one vertical?

----------------

Current setup is office to tower 5.8hz using routable ip. At 1st tower I have an 2.4ghz omni and two 5.8ghz grids. One for recieving from the office the other shooting to tower 2. The rb has 3 wireless cards with the 5.8ghz bridged.... tried wds and turned it on and off several times doesn't seem to make any differnce here.. but if i'm using two rb's I guess I would use a cross over between the ethernet but not too sure how I would bridge that over to tower 2. Furthremore how I would bridge it to two units so I could do redunacy links across the valley.

-Michael

ejansson

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:41 pm

For back hauls always use a dish or panel, if you have snow and icing use a radome on the dish. Also make sure you have lots of fade margin as you can still get snow on the radome.

If you are on adjacent frequencies I would suggest a minimum 10ft separation and use opposite polarity for optimum interference rejection. You could also use one 2.4 and one 5.8 link. If the frequencies are more spread out you can often be with in a few feet with out any danger of self interference.

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:20 pm

I talked to PacWireless today and basicly asked the same questions I have posted here.

There suggestion was:

Grid Antani's because they have less wind loading and less likely for ice buildup?

For the reduancy links, same suggestion as the above person made about making one horizontal and one vertical and channel separation.

Suggested that Panel were good for short range 3 mile or less links even through light foilage. But for distance links or to help reduce the noise levels use grid.

-------------------

Speaking of noise... I noticed while my link started going down last night that our noise level came up to -90 to -91. It was 15F here last night when the links started failing.. what causes the noise level to change? They normaly are -98 to -105.

ejansson

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:49 am

Dishes and panels are still a lot better in ice then a dish. And tend to have a bit cleaner pattern.

Not shure on the noise but if your across a vally it is quite posible that you are seeing thermal fade issues or even ducting. This happens quite often if you get a pocket of warm our cold air that is trapped. Most common in spring and fall.

Erik

nickb

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 pm

Speaking of noise... I noticed while my link started going down last night that our noise level came up to -90 to -91. It was 15F here last night when the links started failing.. what causes the noise level to change? They normaly are -98 to -105.
What about wind? If the air is very dry, and it is very windy, you could have some ionization issues going on too. Just think about how charged you can get in the winter and you static shock everything you touch - that's because the air is dry, and you are moving around building up a charge. The gases and particles making up the air that's moving around out there does the same thing.

I'm not saying that's the problem, just pointing out yet another possible culprit.