Community discussions

MikroTik App

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Capsman & Hotspot?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi There,

I already have a hotspot configured on a mikrotik router at my working place and it works just fine. but now I want to continue service, get better coverage using capsman. I got two other mikrotik hap routers but still couldn't get it done. I have a basic understanding how capsman works and Can you please let me know how to do this?

Main router(will configure capsman) has hotspot already configured and company logo included login page to users to log in. how to use other two routers as CAP APs to share hotspot SSIDs?

Thanks in Advance

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Capsman & Hotspot?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi There,

I already have a hotspot configured at my working place. but now I want to continue service, get better coverage using capsman. I got two other mikrto hap routers but still couldnt get it done. I want I have a basic understanding how capsman works and Can you please let me know how to do this?

Main router has hotspot already configured and company logo included login page to users to log in.

Thanks in Advance
how you are going to connect extra RBs to your main router (wifi or ethernet)?
how many SSIDs do you need?
capsman is a service, that helps you to manage/update/etc different RBs from one place. there are different modes (with and without local forwarding)
you can find some info about capsman on wiki

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi There,

I already have a hotspot configured at my working place. but now I want to continue service, get better coverage using capsman. I got two other mikrto hap routers but still couldnt get it done. I want I have a basic understanding how capsman works and Can you please let me know how to do this?

Main router has hotspot already configured and company logo included login page to users to log in.

Thanks in Advance
capsman is a service, that helps you to manage/update/etc different RBs from one place. there are different modes (with and without local forwarding)
Thanks for the quick reply mate. Actually I have 3 hotspot configured in my main routerboard, which means 3 SSIDs, so Can we really do that? share hotspot SSIDs on CAP APs so we can get better WIFI coverage ? and what is the best option that is available in capsman? local forwarding? WiKi doesnt have anything about using Capsman to hotspot is it?

Thanks buddy

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi There,

Thanks in Advance
Thanks for the quick reply mate. Actually I have 3 hotspot configured in my main routerboard, which means 3 SSIDs, so Can we really do that? share hotspot SSIDs on CAP APs so we can get better WIFI coverage ? and what is the best option that is available in capsman? local forwarding? WiKi doesnt have anything about using Capsman to hotspot is it?

Thanks buddy
i think that you have different bridge or interface for each hotspot. in capsman you can create several datapaths for each your hotspot with different SSIDS.
so try to look for some instructions "capsman two/three/etc ssids" (no mater with hotspot or not)

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi There,

Thanks in Advance

Thanks buddy
i think that you have different bridge or interface for each hotspot. in capsman you can create several datapaths for each your hotspot with different SSIDS.
so try to look for some instructions "capsman two/three/etc ssids" (no mater with hotspot or not)
Yes. Different bridges for each hotspot. So data paths along with the local forwarding will do the job?

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Yes. Different bridges for each hotspot. So data paths along with the local forwarding will do the job?
first of all you should look for your actual network setup and decide to use ore not local forwarding.
when you use it you should have access from AP to all your three hotspot networks - all SSIDs will connect to the bridge on AP
if you create just management link to AP - don't use it, in this way SSIDs will connect to bridges on your capsman.

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:21 pm

first of all you should look for your actual network setup and decide to use ore not local forwarding.
when you use it you should have access from AP to all your three hotspot networks - all SSIDs will connect to the bridge on AP
if you create just management link to AP - don't use it, in this way SSIDs will connect to bridges on your capsman.
So all I want is share my main router's hotspot SSID's on CAP APs, so users can connect through them with the main router where I have configured my hotspots and SSIDs? then what should I do? All I need is to use CAP APs to already available SSID on my Routerboard(I ll be configuring capsman on this router),

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:47 pm

So all I want is share my main router's hotspot SSID's on CAP APs, so users can connect through them with the main router where I have configured my hotspots and SSIDs? then what should I do? All I need is to use CAP APs to already available SSID on my Routerboard(I ll be configuring capsman on this router),
caps will be connected to your main router directly or through any switch (if through switch, than what model - it supports vlan or not)?

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:09 pm

caps will be connected to your main router directly or through any switch (if through switch, than what model - it supports vlan or not)?
Directly connected through ethernet ports.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 pm

so, you wil need smth like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxq9Y ... lBlX0YySk0
1)create datapaths for all your SSIDs (like on image except vlan id) in "bridge" you should paste your hotspot bridges (don't use local forwarding)
2)create "security cfg" for all your ssids
3)create access list rules and channels if you need
4)create "configurations" for all your SSIDs
5)create provisioning rules: one "configuration" will be master, other add as slave

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:40 pm

so, you wil need smth like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxq9Y ... lBlX0YySk0
1)create datapaths for all your SSIDs (like on image except vlan id) in "bridge" you should paste your hotspot bridges (don't use local forwarding)
2)create "security cfg" for all your ssids
3)create access list rules and channels if you need
4)create "configurations" for all your SSIDs
5)create provisioning rules: one "configuration" will be master, other add as slave
can you please explain 5)create provisioning rules: one "configuration" will be master, other add as slave ? why do we need this and what does this do please? I meant configuring as master and slave.
And another confusing thing is, since I already have SSIDs for my hotspots, do I need to create new SSIDs in capsman configuration?

Thanks for helping me out mate. I bet every one out there who will have same issue like this will get this as a helpful source :)

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:26 pm

can you please explain 5)create provisioning rules: one "configuration" will be master, other add as slave ? why do we need this and what does this do please? I meant configuring as master and slave.
And another confusing thing is, since I already have SSIDs for my hotspots, do I need to create new SSIDs in capsman configuration?

Thanks for helping me out mate. I bet every one out there who will have same issue like this will get this as a helpful source :)
you need as much configurations as you want to have SSIDs. But muster configuration can be only one, that is why you will add in provision rule one config as muster and other as slave.

about the SSIDs in your hotspot - i don't know anything about equipment in your network, but i think that now you have one RB - it is your main router, hotspot at the same time. and also all your SSIDs are on wireless interfaces on this router. If it is so, after configuring capsman i suggest you not only to manage your other APs, but also wifi on your main router

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:37 pm

you need as much configurations as you want to have SSIDs. But muster configuration can be only one, that is why you will add in provision rule one config as muster and other as slave.

about the SSIDs in your hotspot - i don't know anything about equipment in your network, but i think that now you have one RB - it is your main router, hotspot at the same time. and also all your SSIDs are on wireless interfaces on this router. If it is so, after configuring capsman i suggest you not only to manage your other APs, but also wifi on your main router
Yes, I have my main RB with 3 hotspots configured and wlan1 interface shares all 3 SSID's of those 3 hotspots. So If I am going to use my APs to show those SSIDs, what should I do? and I also want users to login to the network using the portal page, which is already has on my current setup. but configuring capsman and configuring SSIDs in capsman configuration will do the same job? so when a user tries to log in from one of the CAP APs, will the user still get the portal page to login as we have on the original router? Um just confused.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Yes, I have my main RB with 3 hotspots configured and wlan1 interface shares all 3 SSID's of those 3 hotspots. So If I am going to use my APs to show those SSIDs, what should I do? and I also want users to login to the network using the portal page, which is already has on my current setup. but configuring capsman and configuring SSIDs in capsman configuration will do the same job? so when a user tries to log in from one of the CAP APs, will the user still get the portal page to login as we have on the original router? Um just confused.
hotspot and and capsman are different things and they do different things - you can have hotspot, but don't have capsman, or have capsman but not use hotspot, or you can use both of them
you should remember one thing - your 3 hotspots work not wifi, they work on particular interface (as you had sad before - on 3 bridges ).
that is why no matter what is connected to this bridges (wireless interfaces of your main router or APs or wired switch) - if it work in one situation, so it will work in others - users will get access to portal page.
i suggest you to try it with one AP and after you will config it and test connect others

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 pm

hotspot and and capsman are different things and they do different things - you can have hotspot, but don't have capsman, or have capsman but not use hotspot, or you can use both of them
you should remember one thing - your 3 hotspots work not wifi, they work on particular interface (as you had sad before - on 3 bridges ).
that is why no matter what is connected to this bridges (wireless interfaces of your main router or APs or wired switch) - if it work in one situation, so it will work in others - users will get access to portal page.
i suggest you to try it with one AP and after you will config it and test connect others
Ok, now I understand. Let me try one more time and see how it goes.

Another Question, Do you have any idea, one of my new RB, I used it for few days and once I reseted it, now I cant winbox it using mac (ip is 0.0.0.0), tried tried using connected to another RB and mac telnet the new router, but still the same issue. cant connect. Is this a faulty RB? I tried resetting and switching cables and ports few times but no luck? Any idea why is that? other RB's are working just fine, its just this new RB causing this problem :(

ERROR: could not try to connect msg appears....

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Another Question, Do you have any idea, one of my new RB, I used it for few days and once I reseted it, now I cant winbox it using mac (ip is 0.0.0.0), tried tried using connected to another RB and mac telnet the new router, but still the same issue. cant connect. Is this a faulty RB? I tried resetting and switching cables and ports few times but no luck? Any idea why is that? other RB's are working just fine, its just this new RB causing this problem :(
try reset it one more time, if it doesn't help - try netinstall (you can find information about it on wiki or on this forum)

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 pm

try reset it one more time, if it doesn't help - try netinstall (you can find information about it on wiki or on this forum)
Tried using the small button on back using a pin few times, since no access to the router os. still no luck. Will try netinstall option.

Thanks for the long time support and quick response mate. ,much appreciated. Will try the capsman config again and see how it goes.

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Tried using the small button on back using a pin few times, since no access to the router os. still no luck. Will try netinstall option.

Thanks for the long time support and quick response mate. ,much appreciated. Will try the capsman config again and see how it goes.
Another quick question mate,

Is that possible to configure a DHCP on the CAP AP and so the users connecting through the AP gets one of the addresses from configured DHCP Address pool?

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Is that possible to configure a DHCP on the CAP AP and so the users connecting through the AP gets one of the addresses from configured DHCP Address pool?
in this way every CAP AP (not clients on this APs) will be a user for hotspot. but as a variant you can try to setup them as dhcp relay for dhcp server on main router where you will create separate dhcp pools.
The other variant create separate hotspots (with sepate bridges, dhcp and so on), but in this variant you will have to specify capsman rules for each cap ap or cap aps group.
i didn't test this setups so i can't tell any details without any setups in test lab

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:20 pm

in this way every CAP AP (not clients on this APs) will be a user for hotspot. but as a variant you can try to setup them as dhcp relay for dhcp server on main router where you will create separate dhcp pools.
The other variant create separate hotspots (with sepate bridges, dhcp and so on), but in this variant you will have to specify capsman rules for each cap ap or cap aps group.
i didn't test this setups so i can't tell any details without any setups in test lab
What I am trying to do is configuring capsman in ip level, then create hotspots on the main router which is capsman(also has dhcp servers assigned) and using other cap aps to broadcast the ssid, as the this post was based on. Now ahat I want to do is, create a dhcp server on the cap ap and use that dhcp server to give out ip addresses to connecting clients. I hope you get what um trying to say. So do you have any possible idea so that we can fulfill this task?

Much appreciated. :)

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:36 pm

What I am trying to do is configuring capsman in ip level, then create hotspots on the main router which is capsman(also has dhcp servers assigned) and using other cap aps to broadcast the ssid, as the this post was based on. Now ahat I want to do is, create a dhcp server on the cap ap and use that dhcp server to give out ip addresses to connecting clients. I hope you get what um trying to say. So do you have any possible idea so that we can fulfill this task?

i don't think that it will be possible to config cap aps not connected to the lan by cabel. if you use aps managed by capsman they will not be repeaters = if your aps are repeaters they can not be managed by capsman. you can have a look at this forum (may be it will help you, i don't know what was the result)- someone was trying to use the same setup but with aps with 2 wlans (one for connecting to capsman and one to broadcast ssid).

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 am

i don't think that it will be possible to config cap aps not connected to the lan by cabel. if you use aps managed by capsman they will not be repeaters = if your aps are repeaters they can not be managed by capsman. you can have a look at this forum (may be it will help you, i don't know what was the result)- someone was trying to use the same setup but with aps with 2 wlans (one for connecting to capsman and one to broadcast ssid).
Thanks mate. let me play around a little bit and see. Even I have a little doubt about this as well.

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks mate. let me play around a little bit and see. Even I have a little doubt about this as well.
Hay @Shadeofspirit, Can you please give out the steps to configure DHCP Relay on my capsman router, where I have configured my hotspots?

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Hay @Shadeofspirit, Can you please give out the steps to configure DHCP Relay on my capsman router, where I have configured my hotspots?

what is your current config?

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:31 am

@Shadeofspirit, my current config is, I have main router configured with 3 hotspots(capsman running) and another mkt as a cap ap which broadcasts the SSIDS only. How can I use DHCP relay on this setup to comminucate between separate subnets/networks?

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:26 pm

@Shadeofspirit, my current config is, I have main router configured with 3 hotspots(capsman running) and another mkt as a cap ap which broadcasts the SSIDS only. How can I use DHCP relay on this setup to comminucate between separate subnets/networks?

what for do you need dhcp relay? as you have 3 hotspots (on different interfaces (bridges)) and you connect ssids to this bridges, on your main router you should setup 3 different dhcp servers to this 3 bridges (with their own settings, subnets and so on). after that all will work good on your caps

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 pm

what for do you need dhcp relay? as you have 3 hotspots (on different interfaces (bridges)) and you connect ssids to this bridges, on your main router you should setup 3 different dhcp servers to this 3 bridges (with their own settings, subnets and so on). after that all will work good on your caps
@Shadeofspirit, so connected clients through different SSIDs, which belongs to different subnets can communicate with each other? it is possible thourgh DHCP Relay, correct? How do I do that?

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm

@Shadeofspirit, so connected clients through different SSIDs, which belongs to different subnets can communicate with each other? it is possible thourgh DHCP Relay, correct? How do I do that?

first of all you should understand that the main thing there is not subnet but bridge (interface), because if you want you can create several subnets on one bridge. if you create hotspot - you make it on bridge. you also connect ssids in capsman to bridges. if you don't create blocking rules in firewall clients on different bridges can communicate with each other by ip because they will have routes (ip-routes) to other bridge. if you don't want clients from different bridges to communicate you should create blocking rule in firewall or make correction in routes

anushkaudeshan
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 am

first of all you should understand that the main thing there is not subnet but bridge (interface), because if you want you can create several subnets on one bridge. if you create hotspot - you make it on bridge. you also connect ssids in capsman to bridges. if you don't create blocking rules in firewall clients on different bridges can communicate with each other by ip because they will have routes (ip-routes) to other bridge. if you don't want clients from different bridges to communicate you should create blocking rule in firewall or make correction in routes
@Shadeofspirit, Understood. So how can I use DHCP relay on a setup like this? how DHCP Relay can be useful to do such tasks? please state those tasks.

Thanks

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 am

@Shadeofspirit, Understood. So how can I use DHCP relay on a setup like this? how DHCP Relay can be useful to do such tasks? please state those tasks.

Thanks
Actually i don't understand why do you need dhcp relay.
if you create on your main router bridges, config dhcp servers on them, config capsman, create hotspot, than config other routers as caps - you don't need dhcp relay on your caps. if you want, you can config them in 'ip-dhcp relay' (if you have 3 different bridges for 3 different ssids - you can config 3 dhcp relays for each dhcp server on your main router)