Community discussions

pomah
Topic Author

Extend wifi coverage of RB951G-2HnD

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi

My wife is not really happy with the current wifi coverage of our home network, today I use a RB951G-2HnD as both an router and wifi AP.

I was thinking on buying a cAP lite and use it as an extra AP together with my current router/AP.

So the new cAP lite would be extending the current wifi signal, no Ethernet connection between them both just a wifi link.

As far as i understand after reading most things here this will not work as a "mesh" network with perfect roaming, not sure I needed it, I will need to use access lists with connection strength limitations to make sure clients drop from one AP and connect to the other, that is also fine by me, I might need to set them to different channels to make sure they do not disturb each other, also fine.

To give an understanding of the network size and the size of my home:
Today I have a total of 9 clients:
Wifi: 3 pc, 3 cellphones and TV
Ethernet: media center and server,
The home is an apartment, 1 floor, 100 sqm,

What I need to understand is this:

I want extend my wifi coverage si this the right way to go?
I want one SSID in my house, the clients or my house guests should only connect and see one network, will this work?
I want to have only one local network and I want to have access to all my devices no matter if they are connected through the AP or the router, will this work?
I do not want to connect the AP through Ethernet cable, but to connect it wirelessly, I understand that the maximum speed I with the clients will not be more than the connection strength between AP and router, anything else I miss?
New users of my network (guests) who are not yet on my access list will most likely have some issues switching between the AP's, how big of a problem could that be?
I was planning on using CAPsMAN to setup the AP, any ideas here?

I hope that I have understood the concept and that my questions are relevant, thank you for your help.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Extend wifi coverage of RB951G-2HnD

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I want extend my wifi coverage si this the right way to go?
Yes
I want one SSID in my house, the clients or my house guests should only connect and see one network, will this work?
Yes
I want to have only one local network and I want to have access to all my devices no matter if they are connected through the AP or the router, will this work?
Yes
I do not want to connect the AP through Ethernet cable, but to connect it wirelessly, I understand that the maximum speed I with the clients will not be more than the connection strength between AP and router, anything else I miss?
It will actually be twice as little. And will also potentially degrade the available bandwidth for other clients (directly connected to your first AP). You are strongly advised to use cable connection, if at all possible.
New users of my network (guests) who are not yet on my access list will most likely have some issues switching between the AP's, how big of a problem could that be?
I was planning on using CAPsMAN to setup the AP, any ideas here?
Using CAPsMAN is a good option, I would personally do the same. Please note, however, that CAPsMAN controlled radio cannot be used as a repeater. You will have to use a separate (cable!) connection to link you CAPsMAN and CAPs together.

Also using access list to kick clients based on the signal strength is a very bad idea. Search the forum, there recently were some posts explaining why it is bad. The proper way to make your clients roam earlier is to reduce transmit power on your APs.

irghost
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

just care about RB951TX Power, it has about 32-33dB EIRP (2watts)

I'm using cAP lite with 10dbm (Txpower) on day and 3dbm at night
MTCNA MTCRE MTCTCE MTCUME MTCWE MTCIPv6E MTCINE

pomah
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Using CAPsMAN is a good option, I would personally do the same. Please note, however, that CAPsMAN controlled radio cannot be used as a repeater. You will have to use a separate (cable!) connection to link you CAPsMAN and CAPs together.
My plan was not to use cable, can I do the intial setup over cable and then put it on the wall or do it need to be connected all the time with cable? If that later is the case CAPsMAN is of no need for me...
Also using access list to kick clients based on the signal strength is a very bad idea. Search the forum, there recently were some posts explaining why it is bad. The proper way to make your clients roam earlier is to reduce transmit power on your APs.
Noted.
just care about RB951TX Power, it has about 32-33dB EIRP (2watts)

I'm using cAP lite with 10dbm (Txpower) on day and 3dbm at night
Could you explain this more,I am not following, is the signal strength to strong on my rb951?

irghost
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Could you explain this more,I am not following, is the signal strength to strong on my rb951?
yes RB951 can easy cover over 200sqm
MTCNA MTCRE MTCTCE MTCUME MTCWE MTCIPv6E MTCINE

pomah
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 pm

yes RB951 can easy cover over 200sqm
Yes I agree, I am very happy with it, but how is this a problem, should not this benefit me? Or are you refering to what has been said in the first reply, regulating AP disconnect by lowering it's signal strength?

As I see it I need just a little better coverage at the other end of my house, I could move the RB951 to solve that issue too but then I would need to somehow reroute the network cable and I am not really in the mood for that...

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 pm

can I do the intial setup over cable and then put it on the wall or do it need to be connected all the time with cable?
You cannot use CAPsMAN controlled wireless interface to also connect CAP to CAPsMAN, which means they have to be connected using cable all the time.
is the signal strength to strong on my rb951?
Yes, the maximum tx power of your device is 30dBm (1W), which is too much for a typical indoor scenarios when your client devices (laptops, smartphones, etc) are not as powerful as you AP is. The best results can only be achieved when the tx power of both AP and clients is approximately the same. Luckily, Mikrotik allows to easily adjust the tx power. The maximum reasonable value for a single AP scenario is 20dBm (but 17dBm may work even better). And for a roaming scenario this value should be reduced to 15dBm or even lower. And for your particular scenario you will have to find the best values yourself.

pomah
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 pm

can I do the intial setup over cable and then put it on the wall or do it need to be connected all the time with cable?
You cannot use CAPsMAN controlled wireless interface to also connect CAP to CAPsMAN, which means they have to be connected using cable all the time.
is the signal strength to strong on my rb951?
Yes, the maximum tx power of your device is 30dBm (1W), which is too much for a typical indoor scenarios when your client devices (laptops, smartphones, etc) are not as powerful as you AP is. The best results can only be achieved when the tx power of both AP and clients is approximately the same. Luckily, Mikrotik allows to easily adjust the tx power. The maximum reasonable value for a single AP scenario is 20dBm (but 17dBm may work even better). And for a roaming scenario this value should be reduced to 15dBm or even lower. And for your particular scenario you will have to find the best values yourself.
OK ty.

So I think I start to get where this is going, using a cAP lite that I setup by itself, not being able to use CAPsMAN, will the clients still be able to use all of my network and see all the shares/clients no matter what AP they are connected too? Any suggestions to guides how to set it up? WDS?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 pm

So I think I start to get where this is going, using a cAP lite that I setup by itself, not being able to use CAPsMAN, will the clients still be able to use all of my network and see all the shares/clients no matter what AP they are connected too?
Yes.
Any suggestions to guides how to set it up? WDS?
Repeater (but yes, it will use WDS behind the scenes, provided it is enabled on you main AP). Here's the manual: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... s#Repeater.

pomah
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:36 am

So I think I start to get where this is going, using a cAP lite that I setup by itself, not being able to use CAPsMAN, will the clients still be able to use all of my network and see all the shares/clients no matter what AP they are connected too?
Yes.
Any suggestions to guides how to set it up? WDS?
Repeater (but yes, it will use WDS behind the scenes, provided it is enabled on you main AP). Here's the manual: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... s#Repeater.
Ty, put an order for a cAP lite.