Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bednarus3
just joined

Re: wAP LTE Kit EU - Slow LTE speed

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Any changes haven't done anything. I did third test today.
Test 3 (modem is placed quarter mile from BTS with crystal view)
Results aren't good enough.
Huawei B315s-22 had better RSRQ inside building placed far away from BTS. Is my Mikrotik broken? May I make a complaint to have it repaid under the warranty?
Sadly if i do changes on LTE interface (like disable bands) the modem don't connect to provider even with waiting long time (like 5-10 minutes).
Need to reboot device...
The same situation here. But I have to use factory default configuration to make it working again.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Try to use the latest Current RouterOS version.
Does your cell tower supports Band3?
The tower uses 10mhz bandwidth so the max download speed is 75mbps on this tower. So this speed is shared among other users that are connected to the tower.
As you can see the CQI value is very high so you are close to the max data-rate.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:56 pm

As you can see the CQI value is very high so you are close to the max data-rate.
CQI is not high at all for this level of signal (RSRP), it should have been 15. With CQI=12 you can not reach more than approx. 60% of LTE cell maximum throughput.

Better quantity to assess LTE signal quality is SINR (or RSRQ if SINR is not calculated). I've once found a (real life) chart with plotted cell throughput vs. SINR. It showed that with SINR=10, max achievable throughput was between 10 and 35 Mbps, so OP's result is not bad actually. To achieve high throughput (say more than 75% of cell capacity), SINR has to be better than 20.
Low SINR combined with high RSRP means that either there's strong interference on LTE signal (perhaps you were placed "in between" the LTE sectors, try to place yourself directly in front of one base station antenna) or, even more probably, you actually have too high LTE signal, which can overload Rx pre-amplifier of data card and induce noise inside the receiver (keep in mind that LTE terminals are capable of decent performance down to RSRP as low as -110 dBm!). Our tests showed that most of terminals (data cards and phones) had best performance when RSRP was lower than -60 dBm and higher than -70 dBm. With RSRP getting higher, performance dropped.

A side note: if both network and terminal support LTE-advanced modulation schemes (up to 256QAM in downlink and 64QAM in uplink), sector max downlink throughput increases by 30% and max uplink throughput increases by 50% compared to "legacy" LTE ... sector in question could, theoretically, offer up to 100Mbps in downlink (UL heavily depends on terminal). But to realize that speedup, SINR absolutely has to be over 20, possibly better than 25.

Bednarus3
just joined

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Uldis, mkx. Take a look to my first post. I have compared my Mikrotik wAP modem with Huawei B315 modem. The same time and place and the same BTS load. Inside the building - no comment. Outside Mikrotik is three times worse then Huawei with all parameters except upload speed where it is two times worse. So uldis, what I understood is that You clime my device is without any faults and work properly. I hope not, because in other way quality of Mikrotik wAP is not worth that money I spent on it.
Does your cell tower supports Band3?
Not in localization that I have done tests shown in my previous posts, but I had my Mikrotik and even worse Huawei B593 in different place. Both devices connected to the same cell tower with Band3. Speed test has given results: Huawei - download: 15mbps upload: 7mbps, Mikrotik - download: 3mbps upload: 10mbps. Mikrotik is high-end product so it should be at least as good as Huawei.
Last edited by Bednarus3 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Simono

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 am

I also noticed slow speed this device compared to other in my location. I try all band and speed is bad compared to Huawei b593s-22.
I'm disappointed with this device. I use it only to give internet over LTE to my router via lan cable.

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Huawei B315s-22 had better RSRQ inside building placed far away from BTS. Is my Mikrotik broken? May I make a complaint to have it repaid under the warranty?
Sadly if i do changes on LTE interface (like disable bands) the modem don't connect to provider even with waiting long time (like 5-10 minutes).
Need to reboot device...
The same situation here. But I have to use factory default configuration to make it working again.
Why you don't test the modem with the last firmware?
My Wap LTE comes with "MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v008"

Bednarus3
just joined

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:04 pm

Why you don't test the modem with the last firmware?
My Wap LTE comes with "MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v008"
I don't know how to upgrade modem firmware itself. I have got RouterOS upgraded to 6.42.6 version. Anyway in the Friday evening it started to work like a charm. Speed was comparable to Huawei. Download: 25Mbps, upload 7Mbps. And that is it. It's newer happened again. I have tested it every day since that happy Friday with results about: Download: 7Mbps, upload 7Mbps. I even didn't go to bed until 3 am on Saturday to be sure cell tower wasn't loaded.
For this moment the question is. How can I upgrade firmware in modem module? Auto upgrade doesn't find anything.
Last edited by Bednarus3 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:09 pm

I bought two of these units, they are now in a landfill :)

Bednarus3
just joined

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 am

I have upgraded lte module.
Now upload is twice better about 14Mbps. Unfortunately download is still the same. about 7Mbps. I have noticed one thing. When RSRQ amounts to -10dB or less and CQI is changing between 12 and 13 then download speed is slow. But sometimes when RSRQ amounts to -9dB and CQI is 11 download speed significant increase.
But the point is it happens very rarely. It doesn't matter the unit is indoor or outdoor. Even when unit was very close to cell tower RSRQ was -10 dB.

sophitus
just joined

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:35 am

I have slow speed with LTAP mini kit too. It seems to be related to the LTE board, which is the same in wap and ltap kit. MikroTik seems not to be good at LTE and GPS devices yet.

qbic

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:46 am

I bought mAnt LTE and connected to WAP LTE Kit, signal increased from -84dB to -72 but speed stays mostly the same, CQI is almost identical. (on average speed changed from 33mbit to 38mbit).

Bednarus3
just joined

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:56 pm

After long time from day I bought this device I made it running with good results. Internal antennas are the reason this modem is slow. They are completely useless. So I have bought two antennas dedicated for frequency 800-980 Mhz looking like this:
and two u.fl to sma adapters. Manufacturer provided mounting wholes for it.
After installing everything together this modem finally started to work like a charm.

qbic

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Sorry for reviving old thread.

Another stuff that I've learned is that you cant actually easy check what MTU you should use. I wonder if there is possibility to dynamically detect MTU size without reinitializing LTE modem.

Anyway, for my provider at my area (probably in this cell,tower, bts whatever) seems that best performance I can reach is with MTU=1400, I'm only guessing that this is due to WiMax used between BTS locations, or due to network configuration of my provider, boost is significant.

Shay
just joined

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:47 pm

I am also having issues with the Re11 only picking up 3g here in USA. When I try to uncheck 3g as an option, it denies the change saying gsm is not supported. So, I tried unchecking gsm and 3g and it denies that, too. My other device is a readynet lte modem, same place, speeds are 40-50 mbps down, 20-25 up VS re11, 3-5 down, .5 back up. This is terrible!

What do I need to do to get these to work? I updated firmware, but something is obviously wrong in the settings.

qbic

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:34 pm

I am also having issues with the Re11 only picking up 3g here in USA. When I try to uncheck 3g as an option, it denies the change saying gsm is not supported. So, I tried unchecking gsm and 3g and it denies that, too. My other device is a readynet lte modem, same place, speeds are 40-50 mbps down, 20-25 up VS re11, 3-5 down, .5 back up. This is terrible!

What do I need to do to get these to work? I updated firmware, but something is obviously wrong in the settings.
What LTE bands do you want to use, and what are supported by your modem revision?

You updated RouterOS and modem firmware by cli commands? What is the firmware version of your modem card?

Just to be sure I will be very explicit here, you have to update:
- RouterBoard firmware
- RouterOS
- modem firmware
all 3 in separate steps.

FHM
just joined

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 am

Another stuff that I've learned is that you cant actually easy check what MTU you should use. I wonder if there is possibility to dynamically detect MTU size without reinitializing LTE modem.

Anyway, for my provider at my area (probably in this cell,tower, bts whatever) seems that best performance I can reach is with MTU=1400, I'm only guessing that this is due to WiMax used between BTS locations, or due to network configuration of my provider, boost is significant.
[emoji106]

MTU=1400 it is ok for me

Thanks a lot

تم الإرسال من SM-A750F باستخدام Tapatalk

onstephen
just joined

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:21 pm

@Shay, how has it worked out for you? I"m hoping to use one of these (US version) as well. Looks like from the thread that it's the modem and/or the antennae.

@Anyone, if the default r11e modem is the issue, can anyone suggest a modem they've had good experience with in the wAP R, preferably without needing to add external antennae?

flameproof
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 am

I have just received two units, testing for an order of ~30. Cannot even connect to the network. Cannot change to 3G, keeps reverting to LTE upon saving. Same SIM and settings as used in an SXT LTE which worked fine (within reason, it had to have a good view of a cell tower).

I have a Linksys LTE router in the basement which is working fine, and the LtAP Kit just refuses to connect to anything.

If I have to start using external antennas this is not going to work.

godovic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Thank you! For the t-mobile 1400 works fine, but for virtual operator on t-mobile, I have to lower MTU under 1400 to achieve speeds higher than 10MBits