Community discussions

MikroTik App

Melody5781
Topic Author

New home wire install...CAT6, OM3, OM4..Need help...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Building a new house, two story with a basement. Here's my initial thoughts.
-RG6x2, CAT6x3 to each bedroom.
-RG6x3, CAT6x4 to living room and home theatre
-RG6x3, CAT6x6 to office (no need for a switch there)
-CAT6x4 to attic, with PoE switch located in attic for security camera system.
-Conduit from network closet to strategic locations: Office Home Theatre Living room Attic
I found bulk fiber OM3 (two fiber) is cheap on FS.COM. Would it be worth running OM3 to each room while running RG6 and CAT6 as well for that price? Its not terminated, so termination would have to be done in the future. Conduit would remain unfilled and ready for pulling wires 10 years from now. I know current spec'd 25GBE can run over a two-lane (two fiber) for future expansion.
Is OM3 a good bet for the next 5 years? Difficult to terminate? CAT6a and CAT7a seem to be a waste and added bulk for no real benefit. CAT6 solid UTP seems to be the choice. Has ability to do 10GBE, easy to work with, etc.

onnoossendrijver

Re: New home wire install...CAT6, OM3, OM4..Need help...

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 pm

I'd stay away from fiber to each room. It may be cheap, but it is difficult wo work with, can't do PoE and requires 'special' equipment.
Good quality cat6 or better is fine for 10g speeds at home.
I have only a two fibers at home: between router and switch (because DAC cable didn't work), and a fiber from where my ISP fiber enters my house to the attic where my router is placed.