Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cloudyjoe
just joined
Topic Author

Configure a second AP as a slave to the main AP.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 am

I would like to extend my house wifi router to get wifi coverage at the far end of the house and out to the bunkhouse, about an extra 20m.
I have purchased two small MikroTik really cool little wifi routers, hAP minis. I would l like to configure them as slave APs to my main AP.
Both would have the same SSID and password as the main AP.
Both would be on the same subnet as the main AP.
They would be connected via an ethernet cable, first to the one at the end of the house and from that one out to the bunkhouse.

I'm sure that there is an easy way to configure this but I just can't find it. Most of the RouterOS expressions are meaningless to me.

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Configure a second AP as a slave to the main AP.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi,

The easiest way would be to set the 2 aps to the same ssid and just bridge the wlan and ethernet ports.

A possible problem with this config could be that the client devices does not automatically switch to the strongest signal.

You will then have to setup capsman and create 2 rules in the access list to deny devices with a bad signal

Cloudyjoe
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 am

Hi,

The easiest way would be to set the 2 aps to the same ssid and just bridge the wlan and ethernet ports.

A possible problem with this config could be that the client devices does not automatically switch to the strongest signal.

You will then have to setup capsman and create 2 rules in the access list to deny devices with a bad signal
Running Capsman is not an option for me. The bad signal on a device is not an issue for me.
Using Webfig I therefore change the mode from "Router" to "Bridge".
The main router has IP 192.168.0.1 so I have set static IPs on the two devices of 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.
I'm assuming that this will turn off DHCP and NAT but is there anything else to look for?, maybe firewall or something?

This seems too simple?

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

If its running default config the you can go turn off nat/dhcp and the firewall rulles.

It should work 100% like that