Community discussions

MikroTik App

anil
Topic Author

big mistake

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 pm

i think i have done big mistake by choosing mikrotik for my wireless networking there are too many issues.. impossible to make best wireless network using mikrotik wireless devices..

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: big mistake

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

The only mistake you could do is to badly design your network or misconfigure your devices. Maybe you did both errors?

anil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 am

can you help me configuring my wireless devicess please?

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 am

show us your result

zajadacz
just joined

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:36 pm

The only mistake you could do is to badly design your network or misconfigure your devices. Maybe you did both errors?
Mikrotik has some issues with wireless when connecting with non-mikrotik devices (especially phones). Here you can find more information about it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102908

I also regret buying Mikrotik devices for wireless my home network. With cheap AP for 15-20$ I can get better throughput at my phone, that with Mikrotik wAP which cost 45$. I should have bought unifi. Replacement of all wireless equipment (5 AP) for unifi is big expense for me. If you want to buy Mikrotik devices for home/office wireless network you should strongly reconsider it.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:21 am

I have never regretted building my networks on mikrotik, wireless parts included. But everyone can have different experience.

AminYounessi
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:08 am

MikroTik wireless have full feature that you need to know each of them and then you need to speak about that. I use MikroTik device's on my 30 wireless links for connecting my buildings to each other and have no problems with that. Mikrotik have many wireless mode's that you can use them in any scenario's.
So i suggest to tell about your scenario and your problem, may be you configure your wireless device in a wrong way and need to solve it.

best regards

anil
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:42 pm

all my problem is disconnection with various logs that are extensive data loss, unicast exchange time out!!

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:31 pm

you can post your conf

zajadacz
just joined

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm

MikroTik wireless have full feature that you need to know each of them and then you need to speak about that. I use MikroTik device's on my 30 wireless links for connecting my buildings to each other and have no problems with that. Mikrotik have many wireless mode's that you can use them in any scenario's.
So i suggest to tell about your scenario and your problem, may be you configure your wireless device in a wrong way and need to solve it.
Mikrotik is very good and has no problems when you use it in only with other Mirotik devices as clients. So if you are WISP then Mikrotik will be a good choice. If you want to use it as AP for office/home/hotel I do not recommend it. It has some serious compatibility issues with many devices with wireless Broadcom chip. This issues probably will never be fixed: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102908#p618248

tangram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm

I use 3 x wapAC/floor at an office building with around 150 devices/floor for a total of around 500 devices.
We have various brands of notebooks among android and ios phones.
No issues so far.

Mikrotik is not what you call consumer grade, don't assume similar level of knowledge will suffice.

ekpesinyang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: big mistake  [SOLVED]

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Please do a screen shot of you config screen and we can work together. Mikrotik is a very good product to deliver wireless.
all my problem is disconnection with various logs that are extensive data loss, unicast exchange time out!!

zajadacz
just joined

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 am

Mikrotik is not what you call consumer grade, don't assume similar level of knowledge will suffice.
I administrate network with 1k users, so it is not a matter of knowledge level. AP cannot achieve TX rate higher than 54 Mbit with some devices even if you switch it into 802.11n mode only and set Tx rates manually. Mikrotik confirms this issue, and its low priority for them.

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

What you can do if the AP doesn't want to go above 54Mbps

Set the band to only-n and de select all the basic/supported a/g rates.

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 pm

extensive data loss = user too far from ap or in fixed wireless interference, bad alignment poor LOS.

unicast key exchange timeout = 99% of the time its a user that is trying to connect with the incorrect wpa/wpa2 key

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 pm

And as a side note:
Do the devices in question connect to other vendor APs at higher rates?
Would not be the first device I see that does not connect at higher rates...

-Chris

zajadacz
just joined

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm

What you can do if the AP doesn't want to go above 54Mbps

Set the band to only-n and de select all the basic/supported a/g rates.
Seriously? Tried that and wrote about it in a post above yours:
AP cannot achieve TX rate higher than 54 Mbit with some devices even if you switch it into 802.11n mode only and set Tx rates manually. Mikrotik confirms this issue, and its low priority for them.
The problem was widely discussed on Polish ISP forum (trzepak.pl) and lots of people confirms it.

soonwai
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:16 pm

No problems here. Loving the Mikrotiks. New hEX and hAP AC Lite. Before this I was using RB2011UAS-2HnD.

Speedtests at 2.4GHz.
Router: Mikrotik RB750Gr3 6.41
AP: Mikrotik hAP AC Lite 6.41
ISP: TM UniFi Malaysia 100/50mbps

Toshiba Portege z930 2012. 2.4Ghz, single chain, 40Mhz channel width, SGI (short guard interval). Link speed: 150mbps.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013. 2.4Ghz, dual chain, 20Mhz channel width, SGI. Link speed: 144mbps.

Can't get my iPhone 6s to go any higher than 92mbps.
iPhone 6s. 2.4Ghz, dual chain, 20Mhz channel width, SGI. Link speed: 144mbps.

Radio environment.

Notes:
hAP AC Lite is 100mbps ethernet ports only. In order to go above 100mbps, I bonded 2 ports to my RB750Gr3.

ADahi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:21 pm

+1

haik01

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Mikrotik is not a device like consumer grade. There is no GUI with buttons NEXT-->NEXT--> APPLY. And voila: a miracle happened.

In Mikrotik, one wrong setting, and your speed will drop dramatically (or increase dramatically).

Mikrotik is a prosumer (pro consumer) stuff. It is in between professional equipment, and el cheapo consumer grade. You should definitely KNOW what you are doing. It starts with a good URS (User Requirement Specifications), design, interference measurement etc...ONLY after that, you can select the correct equipment. Do NOT buy "just Mikrotik for 45$", and hope it will work. THAT is not the correct way to do it.

I have 5 Mikrotik's hanging in a church, and every Sunday we have about 200-250 registered clients. The main hall is served by a RB751 with a special panel antenna (professional, Kathrein), and it works like a charm. A 60 Mbit ISP line, is never more saturated than 40 Mbps. The main router is a RB2011. and the CPU never goes above 50% with 2 VLAN's, and 15 routing /firewall lines.

Also at home I have a hAPac and I reach 200 Mbit on 5 GHz. I cannot go faster since the fibre to my home is 200 Mbit. When I do a local LAN download (for example, a copy from the NAS to a laptop), I reach up 400 Mbit.

So before saying that "other routers are better", make sure you setup correctly Mikrotik.

Advice: hire a consultant with MTCWE certificate, or attend a course. That will definitely boost up your knowledge about WiFi in general and specifically Mikrotik feature set.

pavlo
just joined

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Mikrotik is not a device like consumer grade. There is no GUI with buttons NEXT-->NEXT--> APPLY. And voila: a miracle happened.
It would be honest to put this message on every Mikrotik box. So everybody who want to buy, will know it is not fit their needs. How much all the words about professional equipment cost, if the $50 dollar home router have open to outer network configuration by default? I spend huge time to set it up and make my network secure. And it worked for a while, but now wifi just gives me 100 seconds pings! I not changed any configs, it just gives me a problem. DHCP? After a while I have to write fixed IPs to all my devices. What am I doing wrong?

Just think about the public places successful work not always show every possible conditions. Think about 5 devices connected but for a couple weeks, without reboot or interruptions. Also did you ever checked how many clients devices was not able to connect, have ping longer than 1 second etc... ? People just not use their devices in church I guess, and I 100% sure all the users are not diploma engineers running hard load network testing.

anil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 pm

show us your result
[admin@MikroTik d] > /interface wireless print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running
0 R name="wlan1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=64:D1:54:6A:13:2E arp=enabled
interface-type=Atheros AR9888 mode=ap-bridge ssid="BROADBAND DADUWA"
frequency=5785 band=5ghz-a/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce
secondary-channel="" scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11
vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 wds-mode=static-mesh