Community discussions

MikroTik App

kiler129
Topic Author

iOS Password Sharing - is there any way to block it?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:17 am

Hi,

Apple with iOS 11 introduced a new feature, which makes connecting people to WiFi networks easier in many ways. One of the ways (despite NFC tags and QR codes) is sharing WiFi network password between devices which are nearby.

This feature is just problematic when you want to prevent "random" people from connecting to your network set-up for accepted devices. Surely mac address filtering is an option, static leases will also work but the problem is this solution only introduces a call with "hey, I clicked and it doesn't work".

AFAIK WPA2-Enterprise is not affected, but giving the fact RouterOS has no way to setup this without external server and not all devices are willing to work with WPA2-Ent I don't wanna go that way. Is there maybe some wireless option/dhcp option which will disable such thing?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: iOS Password Sharing - is there any way to block it?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 am

I think any "solution" will introduce "hey, why doesn't this work".
Hotspot login would be another option, they could share the WPA key and connect, but would still need to log in with a username (one session at a time, so that the person who shared it, can't use it any more).