Community discussions

MikroTik App

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Woobm-USB (TKIP)

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Hello, I have a Woobm-USB, and while I configured this device, I couldn't choose the cipher for WPA2 encryptation (TKIP, AES or TKIP+AES). By default it sets in TKIP+AES and I want set it with AES only.

The firmware version is 1.0 and I not known where I can check if an update is available.

Any information is appreciated.

Regards.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Woobm-USB (TKIP)

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Yes, currently only TKIP in AP mode, this is a limitation of hardware.

AP = TKIP only
Client = AES, TKIP

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 pm

But, Why appears with TKIP + CCMP and not TKIP only?

Regards.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

Correction

AP mode supports TKIP only,
Client mode supports AES+TKIP only. You can't disable TKIP, this is a hardware chip limitation.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Ok, but I believe that is weird that being in AP mode, WiFi Analyzer shows that stay with TKIP+AES and Airodump-ng shows that the device have AES support. Normaly, when an AP it's on TKIP only, WiFi Analyzer shows [WPA-PSK-TKIP][ESS] or [WPA2-PSK-TKIP][ESS] or [WPA+WPA2-PSK-TKIP][ESS] (In any case doesn't show CCMP), and Airodump-ng, shows TKIP instead CCMP in the "Cipher" column. If you can see the images, both shows CCMP and if this device in AP mode supports TKIP only, the results should be:

WiFi Analyzer: [WPA2-PSK-TKIP][ESS]
Airodump-ng: CIPHER=TKIP

it does't fit me.

Probably this device only works on TKIP+AES in both modes (AP and client) and due to hardware limitations, is not possible choose between TKIP or AES (Although, it's first time that I see somthing like this :lol: ).

Regards.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Woobm-USB (TKIP)  [SOLVED]

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 am

This is a limitation of the chip that we use, the manufacturer has an API to talk to the chip, this API is very limited for now. They promised a new version soon, hopefully that will give us some more features and control.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:37 am

Ok, thanks for all. I will be attentive to the news.

Regards.

marekm

Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:27 pm

Any news, 5 years later? I've just tried a new Woobm-USB (plugged into USB port of Omnitik 5 PoE), firmware reported as 1.1 (didn't change after updating with woobmfw_211105.bin available from the product page), there is still no WPA2-AES support in AP mode, there is a typo in "set CPU power safe mode" (should be "save"?), and connection from mobile phones is unstable (often disconnects, sometimes doesn't detect the network, sometimes says "wrong password" even though it is correct, etc.).