Community discussions

HongTH
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik hAP ac lite or RB951Ui-2HnD for In room Wifi Solutions

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:48 am

Dear All,

May I know that using a Mikrotik hAP ac lite or RB951Ui-2HnD will be the best way for hotel In room Wifi Solutions?

Basically, 2 hotel rooms will share a Mikrotik device for wifi connections.

Since Mikrotik hAP ac lite has 5ghz feature but RB951Ui-2HnD doesn't have, it will be a better option. However, the antenna gain for Mikrotik hAP ac lite is only 2.0 whereby RB951Ui-2HnD is having 2.5 gain and I have tested before, the signal coverage is good. I'm not sure about the Mikrotik hAP ac lite https://mikrotik.com/product/RB952Ui-5ac2nD as I have never try this product before and I doubt the wireless signal coverage comparing to RB951Ui-2HnD.

Any advice? Thank you very much!

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mikrotik hAP ac lite or RB951Ui-2HnD for In room Wifi Solutions

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:37 pm

The hAP ac lite has much lower radio power. Don't look only at antenna gain. The difference in gain between 2.0-2.5 dBi is negligible. Remember dB is a logarithmic scale.

Since you only need coverage for a small area, the hAP ac lite would be ideal since its signal will not propagate as far (you can and should still reduce the output power to your actual needs) and you'll have the benefit of far less interference in the 5 GHz band.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

freemannnn
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:04 pm

I have install several times rbwap and rb951 to hotels. both working great.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 am

i made a comparison chart
comparison.png
some years ago the goal in wifi was coverage (some people still think that) but in today wifi the goal is capacity, for that goal the hap lite ac is a better choice because that additional 5ghz radio let you easily double your wireless network capacity with the same number of access-points, and the tx power is enough to cover a decent and contained area to guarantee performance

rb951Ui-2hnd has served as a very good single radio 2.4ghz AP, and has the muscle to operate as a very capable small independent AP/Router + Hotspot with their own logging and graphs

as always in wifi the last word depends on the specifics of your scenario

The best think you can do is to test with both devices to know which one fits better

in wifi you need to do pre-deployment simulated design, then validade with ap on stick pre deployment survey, then install, and finally a post deployment survey to validate instalaltion acomplish design objectives and client requeriments
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.